Chapter 34: Is she crazy or what?

Katrina Johnson

I kicked off my warm boots before stepping into my parents' house. There was no one home as it was Monday and everyone was working. With a sigh, I took off my scarf and hung it along with my coat before making my way to my bedroom.

It had been two days since I came home due to the snow. The Waltons wouldn't let me leave and my parents were all for it, not wanting me to drive in the snowstorm. Not that I was complaining. That weekend with Mason and his parents was amazingly good and relaxing. They were happy for us and gave us space as much as we needed saying we were in that 'honeymoon phase' and they noticed we wanted to be left alone.

They were right. It felt like we were teenagers again, stealing kisses here and there, sneaking around to make out and the longing stares. It felt genuine and special, nothing I had experienced before.

What I liked the most about my weekend with them was the fact they made me feel welcome and at home and never once did they say or do anything to hurt me. Even when Helena called and learned about my presence there, Zachary Walton was true to his words and spoke to her in private. I never knew what he told her, but I received a text from her with an apology and a promise of having lunch together soon.

Saying I was surprised by this sudden change of heart was an understatement. But I was glad nonetheless, I liked Helena from the start and I knew she was just trying to protect her brother. Something I would do too if Noah would let me. I could never be mad at her for doing that. I'd actually be upset if she didn't.

The sky cleared out, the sun came out and we were finally able to leave the house. I took Mason to his Doctor's appointment and thankfully, they took off his cast. We went out for breakfast afterward and it felt like the most normal thing to me. Being out with him like every normal couple, alone in our own bubble of love.

There was still this tiny little voice in my mind that kept reminding me how different we were, but I was able to tune it off every time. I wasn't sure when or if I'd be able to completely get rid of my insecurities, but I was proud of myself. It was a start and I had faith in myself, knowing that one day I'll get there.

After breakfast, I dropped Mason back at his parent's house and came home to change. I was to meet him at his office so we could go to Mason's favorite restaurant 'The gazebo' and have lunch with his friends. We were supposed to meet Jason and Tara, Adam and Helena, Johnny D and Kayra. He said something about his cousin Serena going through a tough time so she wouldn't be able to join us.

To be honest, the second I spotted my bed all I wanted to do was fall into it and sleep like a baby. But I couldn't do that now, could I?

I pulled out warm clothes from my closet and proceeded to get changed quickly before being tempted by the bed trying to seduce me. Time flew by as I got ready and I only realized how long it took me when I received a text from Mason.

MW: Where are you?

I rolled my eyes at Mason's text, I wasn't gone that long was I? I checked the time and gasped. It took me two hours to get ready, and I was going for a simple look. That was a first for me. Usually, I didn't take that much time to get dressed and ready.

KJ: I'm on my way. Missed me?

I took a cab and headed to his office where I was supposed to meet him. On my way there, I kept checking my phone waiting for a reply from Mason but got nothing. I didn't think much of it, knowing that it has been a long time since he went to the office so he probably was busy with paperwork or maybe clients.

Stepping into the fancy lobby, I took a deep breath trying to calm my nerves as I suddenly felt a wave of panic take over me. I held onto the railing in the elevator and took a few deep breaths. I wasn't sure what was happening to me. Everything was perfect, I was in the best of moods, now why would I have a panic attack? I felt the walls closing down on me picking up my heartbeat even more and my head was buzzing.