Chapter 21: terrifying

Mason Walton

I found a parking space and parked my car before looking at her with a raised eyebrow, "You know the answer to that Kat..." She said nothing. She just kept staring ahead not moving an inch, not even blinking.

I frowned and reached out to her cupping her face so she would look at me. And boy when she did my heart stopped. She was so beautiful with those doubtful eyes of hers.

"Come on Kitty Kat, you know I'm over her right?"

She kept staring at me for a few seconds before shrugging, "Even if you're not Mason. It's nothing to me."

I let go of her and let out a frustrated sigh. Why wouldn't she just drop the act and admit her feelings for me?

"Damn, Katrina! For once, just once, stop pretending and let yourself go. At least just for today, be honest about us! You owe it to yourself."

With one last look at me, she got out of the car and opened the door for Max. I shook my head looking at them as they started walking toward the marker. Max you traitor! Keep running Kitty Kat, one day you'll get tired and stop.

I took my things and got out of the car, walking after them slowly hands in my pockets. The stands were filled with organic vegetables and fruits, others with different kinds of cheese and milk. I looked at all the people buying the products with smiles on their faces, looking happy and content. It reminded me of the few times I came here with my mom and Helena.

My eyes landed on Katrina. She was talking to an old lady who was selling handmade jewelry and was laughing heartedly with Max standing by her side like a bodyguard. Without wasting any time I captured that beautiful moment with a picture before joining her. It turned out Katrina knew this woman from her neighborhood; she was surprised to see her and was telling her about her eldest son who had just come back from the army. The lady surely wanted to marry her son and found Katrina Johnson a perfect match. I mean who wouldn't? Smart, independent, funny and so damn beautiful. Who wouldn't want a woman like that?

I shut them off my mind not wanting to hear more praises about the woman's son. I looked around and smiled finding a little lucky charm bracelet. It had a moon, a sun, a star, and a heart. I waited until Katrina was busy with Max and bought it quietly from the lady. She wrapped it in a small satin bag that I safely tucked into my pocket. I'll give it to her later when the time is right.

Katrina took us further down the street and stopped at a food stand. An old man was making sandwiches with the help of his son Sam. I never thought I was the jealous type. I was never jealous while with Celine, or with any of my former girlfriends. But the jealousy I felt when Sam swooned at the sight of Katrina was killing me.

"Look who the cat dragged in." He smiled at her and she blushed. She firkin blushed!

"Hey, Sam. How have you been?"

"I've missed you. What about you?"

She smiled but leaned into my side "I've been perfectly fine." She looked at me and I was confused for a second. She was acting all lovey-dovey.

"Oh, I see. Well, I'm happy you're happy."

"Thank you, Sam!" She looked at his dad "So, Uncle Earl, do you have your special today?"

"You know I do!" He winked at her and made us our sandwiches while Sam made us coffee.

Once ready, we took our order and went into the dog park where we found a bench to sit and eat on while Max started running around with other dogs. He seemed so happy that it warmed my heart.