3 - Scent

Nope.

I refuse to just let him change my life forever. He still doesn't know I'm his mate yet. I just gotta avoid him and stay far far away so he won't be able to smell me. Can I even do that?

Well, only one way to find out.

I was walking my way to school after spraying myself too much perfume my own nose hurt. I quickly made my way to my locker and to first period, ignoring the people scrunching their nose as I pass by them.

"Scent. It plays a big role to our werewolf lives. Its one of the things that make us unique to each other. It can mean a lot of things including safety and danger. It is also one of the things that help us find and identify our mates" Mrs. Parker explained during our anatomy class.

How coincidentally timely.

"I mentioned about safety and danger. Why is that? Anyone?"

One student in front two seats away from me raised her hand

"yes, Nicole"

"uhm.. The scents of our loved ones make us feel safe while the scent of outsiders, wolves that are not part of our pack, including rogues make us feel threatened and sense danger"

"that is true but we have alliances so not all outsiders make us feel threatened. Anyways, our pack warriors use scent for security to detect outsiders and prevent further damage when we are under attack and same goes for the enemy if we are the ones attacking them which means we can't take them by surprise as well as they can't us. Now, what if we get rid of our scents?"

My ears perked up at that. Why did I not think about that before?

"It's how we became victorious of our battles for the last decades up till now. Our pack warriors get rid of their scents with the help of the witches in our pack. That's it!" I suddenly exclaimed standing up. I paused, only now realizing all eyes were on me. I sat back down, embarrassed.

"That's very enthusiastic of you, Jamie" Mrs parker chuckled and so does the whole class. "but yeah, that's correct. Our witches help by casting spells on objects which then be used by the pack wariors to conceal their scents"

I remember learning that from my mom. I remember she had a spellbook containing the steps for that spell. I smiled to myself, making my seatmate stare at me weirdly. I don't care. I just figured out how to avoid the jerk without hurting my nose. Now, I just gotta get through the day.

...

...

...

"I heard he found his mate yesterday"

"No, he didn't. He lost her. He caught a whiff of her scent and tried following her outside the school but she was gone. I heard he circled the school five times trying to find her"

"Nah, I heard it was only 3 times"

"No it was five"

"Does it matter?"

I overheard the discussion of three shewolves sitting a table away from me while I was eating in the cafeteria. Why are they automatically assuming I'm a she? Your alpha is gay, people.

"She's here!" I dropped my spoon as I stiffened when I heard his voice.

My head turned to the cafeteria's closed door so quick I think I got whiplash.

"Alpha?"

"Hurry up, I can smell she's inside"

My eyes widened as I stare at the door. I sniffed the hoodie I'm wearing. Shit, my mom's perfume is gone now. Why do feminine perfume fade so quickly? I couldn't find my dad's perfume so I had to use hers.

As the door opened, I quickly turned away and wore the hood of my hoodie over my head tightening the string so only my eyes and nose are showing. I quickly sprinted to the opened window and jumped out as I heard footsteps after me.

I ran to the forest as fast as I could. I looked back and saw no one was behind me but I'm sure they're after me. I heard a howl from further away and I quickly took off my hoodie while still running. Thank fuck I wore a shirt under my hoodie. I tossed the hoodie to the left and turned to run to the right, fishing my mom's perfume from my pocket and spraying it all over myself. I circled my way through the forest back to school, emerging from the opposite side of where I entered. Lunch time is over now and I'm almost late for my next class.
I sprayed myself some more perfume before entering the school.

Last subject of the day and I was becoming antsy. The jerk was late but he made it to class and I can't wait for the bell to ring so I can exit this room. I can smell him from where I'm sitting and its making me go crazy. Fucking mate bond.

Once the bell rang, I quickly stood up and walked out of the room. I can feel him following me so I quicken my pace.

"You smell like shit" he suddenly spoke and his voice gave me shivers but I contained myself. Fuck that sexy voice.

"No alpha, I don't smell like you. Its called perfume" I retorted and I can imagine him clenching his jaws from behind me.

"since when do you use perfume?"

"since when do you care?" I stopped to glare at him and he stared back at me.

Im just now realizing he has mesmerizing blue eyes. We stared at each other for a while. He's so handsome. If he weren't a jerk I would've let him mate with me the moment I found out he was my mate. His gaze went down to my lips and I frowned, breaking our eye contact and leaving him there looking dazed.

He's being so weird.