Chapter 9

I couldn't believe I was finally about to tell them the truth. The reason it was so important for me to run, and to keep Leah away. Both Delilah and Robbie waited patiently, the room suddenly didn't feel so safe. "It was the summer before I left." I lowered my voice. "Antonio started coming around more and more. We'd actually all gotten pretty close. I guess maybe he started to feel something for me. I'm not sure what happened, but Antonio suddenly wanted me. He was so sweet at first and started to convince me Luca was no good. Luca was always working then. I made a mistake, I thought I could trust him. When I found out about Leah I was horrified. I was too young, and Luca wasn't around much anymore. I went to Antonio, and I told him. That's when he changed. Something about the way he looked at me when I told him...I knew it was a mistake. He was so angry, he'd never shown me that side of him before." I paused for a moment letting the memories float back to me. The pain of that day. "Well, what happened?" Delilah leaned a bit closer. "He tried to kill her." I whispered. "Who?" Robbie's brows furrowed in confusion. "Leah." I responded as quietly as possible. "You mean?" Delilah started, but I cut her off to finish. "He raped me and beat me. He targeted Leah though. He kicked me so many times, and I remember there were other men, when Antonio got tired, they stepped in. When I was left alone, and able to move again, I ran. I got on the first bus out of here. I didn't know if Leah was alive or not. I was bleeding a lot. When I made it to a hospital I was relieved to find out the bleeding was only from the trauma he caused when he raped me, Leah was alive. They said they were unsure if the events of that night caused any permanent damage to Leah, and that time would tell. I was lucky." Only I didn't feel lucky. I was alone then. "Lana, who else knows?" Robbie asked in shock. "You and Delilah are the only ones." I answered. Robbie quickly ran over to me, wrapping his arms around me. "I should've been there for you." Suddenly pain washed over me. Telling the story somehow brought back everything I'd tried so hard to forget. Every disgustingly painful memory was back. "You need to tell Luca." Delilah grabbed my arm to look at me. "Antonio...he's on his way. Alexa's family does business with Antonio, that's how she met Luca." Delilah told me with the most concerned look. The room suddenly felt like it was spinning. I couldn't breathe. Quickly, I jumped up and ran out the door. I ran down the grassy hill until I made it to Robbie's boat. I started the engine, and sped off, gliding across the water, as quickly as I could. I headed to the one place I felt would help. The cove. I quickly shut off the engine, and dove headfirst off the boat, still fully clothed. What am I going to do? I can run again, but Antonio would hunt me down this time. Alexa might've already told him about Leah and I being here. Maybe that's why he's on his way back? I've been protecting Leah from him since I left, and now I've screwed up. I brought her straight to him.