Chapter 27

A few days had gone by and Luca and his men were still trying to put the place back together. I decided I needed a break from all the drama, so I called Robbie and asked him to take Leah and me to the beach today. It would give us a chance to catch up and I could see how he's doing with the house. He's been remodeling the house to replace and fix the damage. He still had a lot of damage from the attack by Moray. Once Robbie arrived we headed out to the dock. "Hey you!" Robbie shouted at Leah as we climbed aboard his boat. "Hey Uncle Robbie." She ran over and hugged him. "Wanna help me drive this time?" He asked her. Her jaw dropped in excitement and looked at me. I smiled brightly at her. We didn't go to any of the local beaches, instead we went to the sand bar not far from Moray Island. We parked the boat on the shore of the sand bar and took Leah to play. I loved seeing my daughter and my brother together. They were the only blood family I had. I could tell they had a special bond. Robbie was her only uncle. "So you guys are engaged?" Robbie nudged me. "For now."

"For now?" His eyes followed me.

"I talked to Antonio, he says Luca isn't being honest about how well he knows mom."

"Mom?" Robbie's eyes widened, I forgot to tell him.

"I saw her at the mall. Antonio was there and said to stay away, and that Luca has known her for years."

"Did you ask him about it?"

"He said there was nothing to tell, Rob. Antonio also proposed."

"Wait, what?"

"Well it's more like a negotiation. He says he's always been in love with me, he wants me to marry him and he'll let Luca live. He'll set up all three children with millions of inheritance,and he'll give them his name." I whispered so Leah wouldn't hear the conversation, she was falling asleep, while Rob carried her.

"Please tell me you're not considering it."

"I mean I have to. At least for Luca."

"No Lana, I think Antonio being around has confused you. He is the same man that tried to kill you, no matter what he says Lana. He still attempted to murder you and your child. He raped and beat you! What is wrong with you?" Robbie was now irritated.

"I'd be willing to suffer again. If it meant Luca would live. Rob, don't you understand that? Wouldn't you do the same for Delilah?"

"This isn't about me. If you love your daughter and if you have any self respect you will stop talking to Antonio. Lose his number, change yours, and stay away from him. As for our mother, why do you care? She left us, never came back, so who cares if Luca knows her from the shady shit they do." I realized Rob was right. I mean I didn't care enough about my birth mother to really try and have a conversation about her. It wasn't until Antonio brought it up again that I realized I hadn't talked to Luca about it. Not really.

"As much as I wish you could've found a nice guy to settle down with and have a normal life, I know no one will love you the way Luca does. I truly believe that Lana. He's been a great father to Leah so far, and he'll protect you. You've been in a self destruct mode since you were sixteen for once Lana, let yourself love and be loved. Let your walls down and trust him. Let yourself be happy." Robbie was right. Antonio ruined my life. I could've already been married and Leah would've grown up with a father around. As much as he's trying to be better, he can't erase the past. I can't let myself forget what he did. I need a reminder of the pain he caused. I needed to get my head right. There was only one way I could do that. I need to look at the pictures. From the hospital, the night I left. "Thank you Robbie, I really needed to hear that." I hugged him tightly. "I love you, I just want to see you happy and get rid of that Bradley name." He chuckled. "Thank you for always taking care of me. I know I haven't always been easy to deal with but you've been the only person in my life to show me unconditional love continuously through my life. You were always that protector where a dad should've been." I started to tear up.

"You don't have to thank me Lana, we took care of each other, you were my rock too." I felt like things were falling into place, like I knew what needed to be done now.