Chapter 037 - The Usual

TN: This officially marks the beginning of the Academy Arc! And the beginning of Missing-Chiffon symptoms.

And I’m changing the writing into somewhat present tense.. Maybe. I don’t know.

The school buildings in Phillis Academy are all made out of thick, solid stone and look like castles built in mid-Europe-ish.

Along the dim corridor, students dressed in the same uniform are being led by the senior, a scene familiar to a certain magic academy.

Mah, regrettably, this is not a magic academy where only the chosen attend but everyone in the country due to compulsory education. Regardless, I still feel excited.

And why won’t I be?

This marks the start of the long awaited school life that I have yearned for.

” You look so happy, Will. ”

I am laughed by Zen. Now is not the time to be laughing at me! Children that have just been born not long ago might not know it but compulsory education is a wonderful thing! It might be because he has not been to other worlds but thinking about magic lesson has already made me so excited that I feel like dancing!

Ah… I cannot say my true feelings out loud so I just give a vague smile as a reply.

” I am just looking forward to the dormitory life. ”

” Eh? Really? Will too? I am living in a dorm too! ”

Delighted Zen is baited into the conversation. Then, ahead of us, a loud booming voice is heard.

” We have reached your classroom! Don’t fight! Bye then! ”

Who will fight on their first day in school… Energetic till the end, the senior leaves coolly without any self-introduction.

Don’t run along the corridor…

I yell in my heart as I stare at his distant figure before entering the classroom.

It has a large wooden door that looks imposing. You can feel the history of the academy from the darkish stone buildings paired with this kind of door. Once entering, the very first thing that I notice is..

” Oh, long desks. ”

I murmur without thinking. Long desks line up and cramp into the classroom…Just like the Showa Era. [TN: 1926 – 1989, he just meant it looks old-ish since most school in japan use single desks now.]

A blackboard that is properly black, sits at the front of the classroom with the side walls curved in, in a circular shape. Just standing in the classroom makes my thrill-meter shoots straight up.

Looking around, everyone is curious at seeing a classroom for the first time and is chatting among each other. It would be a good idea to sit down before I attract their interest in me skipping grades.

Free seating is written on the blackboard. Aren’t we supposed to learn how to read in this school? I bit back on my retort and take a seat. Following my lead, Zen sits down beside me. Then it seems like mass psychology takes place as my classmates begin to shuffle to their seats.

The classroom is buzzing with light chatter but none of it seems to be negative so I am relieved that I am not attracting attention.

….I am so glad that there is no bratty noble son in this class. Really glad.

” Hey Zen, is there any meaning to the groups’ colors? ”

Since the teacher is not here yet, I decide to get some answers to the questions that have been on my mind.