Chapter 056 - Compensation

――――The evening approached as the light waned, just before the need to turn on the light-producing magic tool.

" His son is the trap. "

The black hooded guy said, kneeling. The fat man, seated in front of the black hooded man, holding on to the report, glanced at him.

" I see.... As I thought. "

The black hooded man's owner then grinned fearlessly.

" You did well, Spinel. "

With that, the black hooded man fell back and took his seat on a gorgeous chair, gripping his staff.

" ....In any case, what should we do? "

And that murmur, as seemingly as it got absorbed into the thick gaudy carpet, the fat man opened his mouth.

" Damn it... "

It was the black hooded man, Spinel, who said that as he stood in the dim room, grinding his teeth.

They had achieved their purpose. As his owner had commanded, he had gotten information on Williams Beryl. But he had paid a huge price to get it.

Abi.

Spinel had lost one of his important chess pieces. To him, Abi could even be said to be his right arm. To Spinel, this incident was like losing an arm yet getting a sword in return.

He can't afford to be careless. Or rather, as the investigation this time was to determine if Williams was the one defeated the Shadows, he had laid down plenty of precaution. The plan was injuring his close friend, forcing him to fight against a much stronger opponent to see how he did fare. He had expected Abi to win. Of course, he avoided injuring Williams in order to not place Gion's suspicions on them.

To think a legendary beast was defeated by an 8 years old.

Spinel laughed, self-mockingly. Did his master know about this already?

That was uncommon, to say the least. If Spinel had not seen it with his own eyes, he wouldn't have believed it. It was a shock that only those who had seen it knew. Or it was possible that Spinel's owner did not think much about Abi.

Spinel too, started doubting his owner who believed in the information he had brought in that easily. On the other hand, he was relieved about not having to explain the situation. With these complex feelings inside him, he instinctively ground his teeth again.

The minute Spinel caught sight of Williams Beryl on the 3rd floor, he had jumped.

Spinel had doubted his eyes. Did blood rush to Williams's head or did he have a strong sense of justice stemming from his admiration for his father? No matter the reason, he had never thought he would be thinking of a reason why an 8 year old would jumped out of a window on the 3rd floor.

But then Williams begins splendidly overturning all of Spinel's expectations. He landed lightly on the ground and was even able to hold his own again Abi's attack.

Again, Spinel doubted his eyes. He clung to the idea that it was all a coincidence due to the chaos and imagined Will being beaten up the very next moment.

Then, he wondered if his eyes had fallen out of their sockets. It felt like his heart was seized by someone. In front of him was a sight of Will defending and even attacking back at Abi without an ounce of fear or hesitation.

There should be a limit to how un-normal this all was!! Spinel then finally realized the trap Gion had set. He had really just noticed it. He forced himself to accept that it was because Will was Gion's son and waited for Abi's next move.