Chapter 067 - Regrets & Determination

I did something bad to Caralsdoni-san.

" ......Sigh... "

I let out a sigh out of habit.

That day, I entered the checkpoint, explained the reason, and joined in the questioning that was about to happen, with Zirco-san. If Zirco-san hadn't come, I might had been forced to use my status or even money.

Activating 《嘘発見器》 [TN: Uso Hakkenki, Lie detector], Caralsdoni's brain waves and heartbeat were analyzed as we questioned him but it seemed like he was not lying.

.....But, did he really not meet with Maria......? In that case, was Maria lying?

In any case, I did a really bad thing to Caralsdoni-san. He was wanted nationally as a 'person-of-interest' and that must have been really bad for his business. Even if it was for the sake of solving that incident, to not have explained that misunderstanding immediately was enough for a defamation lawsuit.

......No, maybe the King will be sued for slander...

No matter the case, it might be better to compensate him first. Would it be better to ask Caralsdoni personally about how much he wants?

Having been dragged out of the previous shop in that manner by Buu-san, I couldn't really go back there now so a room was borrowed at the checkpoint and then we began our way there.

All it needed was Zirco-san's one word. Viva Zirco-san. Wasn't he abusing his authority? Not at all. The checkpoint was under the Knight's jurisdiction and Zirco was tentatively the commanding officer of the Black Knights. It was all good as long as we used it for proper reasons.

And when Zirco-san saw the waiting Buu-san, he turned his shocked face towards me.

" And he is...? "

" A merchant that had been supporting me. But this time, it was him who brought Caralsdoni-sama back here from Dyuvu. "

At my words, Zirco-san looked over to Buu-san who shrugged.

" I only picked him up when he was drifting along the river. "

" ......Drifting along the river? "

Zirco-san's mind just went blank at Buu-san's unexpected words. Ooh, his eyes became tiny dots, that's a first. How rare for a person who was always without expression, always calm, just like a ninja. It can be hard to catch up to Buu-san's logic sometimes.

" Yea. He had said that he seemed to have found himself in the slums of Dyuvu with just 1 piece of robe and when he wanted to wash his body in the river, he slipped and fell. "

........Caralsdoni-sannnn!!

What were you doing? Or rather, how unlucky!! Too unlucky! He sure did well for not being discouraged. What a man. I salute you.

But then I suddenly sucked back a breath. It was because of me that he was dragged into such a mess.

.......I messed up.

Regret just welled up inside me. If only I had read that this would had happened more accurately. If only, instead of not wanting to stand out, I had joined in the investigation 3 years ago.

Many things came and went in my head. All of it was 'maybes' but there must be something I could do now.

This time, it was not over to say that it must be a whim by the enemy that no one died. Even so, Caralsdoni-san was reduced to this haggard state and I had also produced a lot of troubles for the Knights from the Intelligence Corps. It was all because of my careless mistake that their job load had increased.