<9>

RYUJIN

Lia's face was filled with confusion and frustration as she asked, "Why did you leave Yeji there? Seriously, for what reason?" I admitted that I wasn't thinking straight when I started to drive. Originally, I planned to pick up Yeji and do something special with the group at my house. However, when I saw Yeji kiss Yeonjun, jealousy took over and clouded my judgment.

"I thought she didn't need me to pick her up," I said as I made my way upstairs, not wanting to answer any more questions.

Lia followed me, her eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean?" she shouted. 

"She was talking to Yeonjun and seemed like she wanted to stay longer."

"But why would you leave her at school? It doesn't make sense, Ryu. Tell me the truth."

I walked towards the bathroom to wash my hands and face, replying, "They kissed." I tried to sound nonchalant, but deep down, I was envious.

"So what?" Lia responded calmly. "They're dating, after all. Or do you...?" Her curious eyes met mine through the mirror, and I realized that I had made my feelings for Yeji obvious.

Trying to play it off, I asked, "What?" but Lia saw through me. She walked closer and whispered, "That you have a crush on Yeji."

Okay first, I've hidden my feelings for what - 5 years? And she tells me now? Have i made it obvious recently? I don't step over the white lines though.

She slapped me on the arm and asked, "What? Don't play dumb. You have a crush on her, right? I can tell by the way you look at her sometimes." She chuckled and shook her head, pursing her lips. "I have to say, you did a good job hiding it. I didn't notice until I started observing you."

I furrowed my eyebrows and asked, "Observing me? Girl, what for?"

Lia explained, "You're more protective of Yeji than anyone else. Everyone has noticed it, and I wanted to figure out why. If you're doing it because you're her best friend, or for other reasons, such as this one."

I was speechless. I didn't know how to respond.

I wondered if Lia would tell Yeji. Would this be the end of our friendship, something I had feared ever since my feelings for Yeji had started to develop?

"I won't tell her, of course, if that's what you're worried about," Lia reassured me.

"I don't have a crush on her. I don't know what you're talking about," I denied hastily. I brushed past her and went straight to my room to sort out my thoughts. Yeji would show up soon, and I didn't want things to be awkward between us.

"Keep denying it. I already know the truth by the way you reacted, Abu!" Lia shouted as I walked away. I closed the door to my room immediately, and thankfully Chaeryeong and Yuna didn't hear anything, as Lia had dismissed it.

But what should I do now? If Lia had found out, it was only a matter of time before the others found out too. And if Yeji found out, I might as well be dead. I didn't even know if she was into girls, and she had a boyfriend.

Why did it hurt so much to be in love with a girl who only saw me as a friend? I quickly searched for my earphones and plugged them in, trying to shut out these painful thoughts. I didn't want to think about anything, please..

——
YEJI

After Yeonjun and I parted ways, I searched for Ryujin but couldn't find her anywhere - not on the soccer field, not in the school, not even in the cafeteria. I even checked the parking lot for her car, but it was nowhere to be seen. Did she really abandon me here?