<36>

"wake up, cupcake~ I made breakfast."

ryujin groaned, pulling her blanket over her whole body to block out the light. a light chuckle was heard and a few seconds later, the blanket was torn off of her.

"let me sleep~" she whined and faced the other way.

"have you always been this grumpy?" her mom laughed before she pulled ryujin up.

"come on, it's the first morning spent with your mother, get up!"

"okay, okay! give me a moment to shower too..." the younger muttered and got up from her bed, rubbing her eyes and stretching her limbs before heading into the washroom.

all of this was new to her, more like nostalgic. she hasn't been woken up by her mother in so long, she usually slept in until 11 on the weekends, but thanks to her mom today, she woke up at 8.

after she got out of the shower, it was evident that she was in a good mood. she walked downstairs with a sweater on and comfy shorts, and she spotted the coffee machine at work again, along with breakfast on the kitchen counter.

"it's been long since I've had this..." she muttered, eating the breakfast her mom probably made for her.

"oh dear, you ate the burnt one." her father laughed as he came into the kitchen with his classic black coffee.

"burnt? what do you-" she turned over the toast, realizing how dark it was.

"no wonder why it was bitter." ryujin sighed and placed the toast back on the plate.

"you were supposed to eat that one." her dad pointed towards the other plate.

"they look the same, dad. plus, if you turned the burnt one over, my tastebuds wouldn't have suffered."

"don't exaggerate now, it can't taste that bad." he laughed, picking up the toast that his daughter bit on, he took a bite himself and chewed slowly as ryujin watched him.

"...I take it back." ryujin burst into laughter and grabbed the other piece of toast that she was supposed to eat.

"where's mom? she woke me up like 10 minutes ago." ryujin asked, looking around the first floor.

"she said she's in the basement looking for her photobook or something." her dad shrugged.

"photobook? the old green-covered thing?"

"I think so... did you throw it away?" he groaned.

"...maybe...?" ryujin scratched her head, trying to remember if she threw it out.

"go tell your mom before she turns into a madwoman because she can't find it." he pushed her towards the basement staircase lightly, chuckling.

"dang it..." she blamed herself right after she remembered that she did indeed, throw out the photobook.

"...hey, mom?" she called out as soon as she reached the basement.

"yeah, cupcake?" ryujin sighed at the name.

"I told you to stop calling me that, in what way do I look like a cupcake?"

"do you know where my photobook is? I've been trying to find it." she ignored her daughter's question as her head entered the cabinet, looking for the old photobook in every corner.

"oh right- I threw it away." ryujin quickly said, closing her eyes since she was expecting to be scolded.

"...really? why would you do that?" her mother sighed, standing up from her position and dusting her hands before she closed the cabinets.