<14>

YEJI

When the bell rang, Ryujin insisted on walking me to my math class before heading off to hers. Heejin was in my class and asked me what had happened with Ryujin earlier.

"I'm not sure," I shrugged and furrowed my brows, still trying to make sense of Ryujin's sudden change in demeanor.

"She seemed upset after finding out that you and Yeonjun were going out after school. Maybe that has something to do with it," Heejin trailed off, and I let out a sigh.

"I think Ryujin cares about me a lot, so the sudden change probably upset her," I mumbled, staring down at the table.

Heejin didn't press for more information, and the class passed quickly. With midterms coming up, I knew I needed to start studying. Chaeryeong was waiting for me outside the classroom, and we walked to the cafeteria together.

"How was class?" she asked, placing a hand on my back as we walked.

"It was fine, but midterms are coming up, so I need to start studying," I sighed, feeling the weight of the upcoming exams.

"You'll ace it like you always do, so don't stress," she reassured me with a smile.

"Thanks, Chaeryeong, but you just put even more pressure on me," I teased, and she started to panic, waving her hands around in the air.

"No! That was not what I was trying to do!" She explained, and I laughed, reassuring her.

Before long, we arrived at our usual spot in the cafeteria and sat down at the table where everyone else had already begun eating. Taking my usual spot beside Ryujin, I placed my bag on the ground and she offered me chopsticks from her big lunch box.

"Meat today," she said with a wink, opening the lid to reveal bulgogi with rice and an assortment of side dishes that I loved. I could feel my mouth watering just looking at it.

I glanced at Ryujin for permission to dig in, and she nodded with a grin. "Go ahead."

Without further hesitation, I started eating quickly, stuffing my mouth full of food. The others around the table laughed at how comically stuffed my mouth was as I chewed and chewed. Ryujin offered me a water bottle, which I gladly drank from after swallowing some of the food.

Letting out a satisfied sigh, I continued to eat until everyone had finished their food. We all leaned back in our chairs, feeling exhausted and overwhelmingly full.

"We always overdo it at lunch," I chuckled, looking around the table. All of them had their eyes closed, except for Chaeryeong who looked like she was zoned out.

My phone started to ring.

Curious about the incoming call, I picked up my phone and answered with a friendly "Hello?" 

As I talked on the phone, I noticed Ryujin watching me intently, while the others looked on with curiosity.

Yeonjun asked if he should pick me up at school or my house later. I let out a chuckle, feeling amused by the situation.

"We go to the same school, so you could have just met me here," I replied. He chuckled and explained that he didn't want to make a scene in front of my friends.

After a brief moment of thought, I suggested that he pick me up at Ryujin's house around 3:40 pm.

Ryujin looked at me with a puzzled expression, but I quickly explained that we could all hang out together before I left.