<20>

YEJI

Hyunjin was on the phone, inviting me to his graduation party with his senior friends. "You should come to my party, it's tomorrow and I want you to meet some of my friends! You can invite whoever you want too," he said.

"Are you sure? I mean, I'm not even a senior," I mumbled, as I flipped through my math textbook trying to find an easier way to explain it to Ryujin, who was struggling with the unit.

"It's okay! My friends are nice, don't worry. Don't you have a boyfriend? You can bring him," he said, the sound of the blinker faintly ticking through my device as I wrote down some things I needed on an index card.

"Whatever you say then," I muttered, then paused. "Can I also bring my friends?"

"Of course! I told you that you can invite whoever you want," he replied as the blinker stopped.

"You should bring Ryujin or something, her cousin is going to be there," Hyunjin added.

"Cousin? What cousin?" I paused, trying to remember. Oh, Karina?

"Karina, she told me that she saw you guys at her part-time job. Don't remember her?" he chuckled.

"I remember... but why would Ryujin want to go just because of her cousin?" I dropped my pen and sat back in my seat with my arms crossed.

"Well, they're close. And, I didn't know if you even wanted to bring Ryujin-"

"Of course I do! She's my best friend!" I said, feeling a bit weird saying it out loud.

"Okay okay, then bring her with you. I'm pulling up now. See you later, little one!" Hyunjin cheerfully said before hanging up.

I sighed and went through my contact list to find Ryujin. After a couple of rings, she picked up. "Hey Yeddeongs, what do you need?" she said, her voice faint or perhaps far from the phone.

"Hey Abu, are you busy right now?"

"Not really, just making dinner. Why? Want to come by?" her voice got louder with each word, and I figured she got closer to the phone.

"I'd love to come by, but I have some studying to do since midterms are this week. I just wanted to ask if you'll come with me to Hyunjin's graduation party tomorrow?" There were sounds of rustling in the background as I spoke, the sound of plastic bags.

"Tomorrow? Isn't that like the middle of the week?" she chuckled before more rustling sounds started to pick up.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure there won't be too many drinks or anything. My brother isn't like that," I chuckled as well and picked up my pen. My hands started to fidget with the pen unconsciously as I awaited her answer.

"Okay, sure. Anyone else coming?" she asked.

"I'll ask them and then I'll text you to let you know," I said, wondering if I should invite the others, but not sure if they'd be comfortable with a party for seniors.

"Ooooh, so I was the first?" she said, giggling.

"What first?" I asked, confused.

"The first that you asked," she sighed and then chuckled after. The rustling sound had stopped, and it was almost silent in the background.

"My brother told me to invite you," I said.

"Oh," she said, and we shared giggles before the line was silent for a few seconds again.

"Alright, see you tomorrow then. Text me the details too."

"Okay, goodnight Ryuddaeng!" I smiled involuntarily.