Chapter 3

THREE YEARS HAD nearly passed by in the blink of an eye, and from what everyone understood, life outside of training was shit

THREE YEARS HAD nearly passed by in the blink of an eye, and from what everyone understood, life outside of training was shit. At some point during their camp, Wall Maria was lost to the titans, leaving them with half the land they'd initially had. Carmen knew this wasn't good for obvious reasons, but her inside look gave her knowledge of the other threats available.

However, it wasn't the day to dwell on the past, Petra made that clear when she barged into the room, cheeks flushed and breathe heavy. "I've just seen the most gorgeous man I've ever laid eyes on." She exclaimed.

"And who might that be?" Carmen quirked a brow, she'd grown more fond of facial expressions over the years, but she was yet to laugh.

"I don't know, but he was wearing a scouts uniform." Petra answered. "His eyes were so dreamy?"

"The scouts are here?" Carmen questioned.

"Yeah, along with the garrison. I wonder why they're here?" The younger thought aloud, prompting Carmen to seek answers, which she soon figured.

"The walls have fallen, they're looking for the best of the best to join their ranks, rather than the military police." She theorised. "On one hand, they're figuring who's the best. But on the other, they'll be bragging about how much better their regiment is. Looks like we'll have to show off."

"We best tell Oruo not to bite his tongue. Don't want him to embarrass himself again." Petra advised, and the two left their cabin to observe the ruckus outside.

The whispers and rumours had began already, everyone shocked to see the faces of such esteemed individuals. Carmen only knew who some of them were. Commander Erwin Smith and Commander Dot Pixis. But maybe, her target would show. After all, he was close with the commander, and the strongest of strong, so would he visit?

"Attention shit-stains!" Shadis shouted and all eyes averted to him. "Today, we have special visitors from both the Scouts and the Garison. Don't act like the disappointments you all are and at least try to cling onto the hair of dignity you might hold." He ordered.

Today, was normally hand-to-hand combat, but with guests here, who knew what the change may be. Alternatively, it was smart to do the visit on such a day, that way, they could see who the slackers were and who was serious. Maybe they were smart, or perhaps Carmen gave them too much credit.

"Carmen, you're making your thinking face again." Petra claimed and stood with crossed arms.

"No, that's the face she makes when she has bad news." Oruo tried to correct.

"No, she's thinking."

"Maybe she's thinking, about bad news?"

"Carmen?"

"Hello?"

Snapping out of it, Carmen got straight to the point. "Today is hand to hand combat, they'll be testing our dedication." She answered, to which Petra smiled victoriously.