Chapter 13

Carmen couldn't sleep. How could she? Especially with a titan so close to her friends. One wrong move, and they could be gone, she didn't care about herself much, because ultimately she hadn't ever really lived. Yes, she was alive, but what does that matter when her whole life had been filled with death and torture?

There wasn't any cure to her boredom on her ceiling, other than the cobwebs that someone had missed during the clean up. Reluctantly, the assassin rolled out of bed and began to wander. She'd never been officially acquainted with the corridors of their new base, or found any secret passageways; they always seemed to be present in her books. But, there was nothing.

"It's late." Someone said, leaning against the banisters of the stairs. Either they'd been following her, or it was pure coincidence. Carmen thought that the latter was more believable, no one could sneak past her.

"Levi." Carmen acknowledged him.

"Captain Levi." He corrected while the assassin rolled her eyes, she still couldn't believe she hadn't killed him, in other missions, she'd never shown any restraint, it was almost animalistic. "Get back to bed."

"What good will that do?" She scoffed.

"You're not special, no one can sleep, not while knowing there's a titan under their noses." Levi replied, he didn't care if technically, Carmen differed from the others.

"I can sleep." Carmen countered. "But can and will are completely different. If I were to sleep, who would look out for everyone else?"

"They don't need your protection, they're fully capable of defending themselves." He explained. "Besides, you'll be useless if you fall asleep when they actually require your help. Take my advise, sleep now, and be more energetic when they need you."

"That, makes sense." Carmen returned his gaze, a sign she fully accepted his presence. "I'll consider it."

However, as she was about to venture back to her room, Levi made a final comment. "Also, I need to ask a favour."

What could he possible have to ask of her? Neither of the two scouts trusted each other, at all, since when did they manage to find a common ground? Carmen didn't know, but the more she thought about it, they did have a lot in common, but were each on opposite sides of whatever war the military were fighting.

"What is it?" She wondered.

"Erwin's going to ask you a question tomorrow, I think you'll know the answer." He revealed. "You can't answer him."

"Why?"

"If you give him the right answer, he'll separate you from the squad, but I need you to be with them. It's a dangerous expedition, a lot of good men will die. So, you need to keep the squad, and Eren alive. Got it?"

"Why should I listen to you?" Carmen asked. Obviously, she wanted her friends to be safe, but that didn't change the fact that Levi couldn't be trusted. For all she knew, Levi could have been manipulating her weakness, friendship. "Are you manipulating me? What would happen if I were to answer his question correctly?"

"Would you rather trust Erwin? He doesn't give two shits about you or your friends."

"Are you suggesting that he's going to kill them?" Carmen questioned, if that were the case, she wouldn't think twice about ending Erwin's life.

"Of course not." Levi answered her. "That said, if the mission goes south, then our squad is at a far greater risk than the others. Not to mention we've been tasked with defending Eren with our lives."

Carmen thought for a moment, there wasn't much to consider. She didn't trust Levi, but she most definitely didn't trust Erwin. Levi was the safer option, she could understand that they shared a common goal, neither wanted the squad hurt. And Levi must have been desperate if he'd turned to the woman he found suspicious for help.

"I'll do it. But it's not for you, it's for them." The assassin finally decided. "I don't trust you at all."

"Then we're on the same page." The captain agreed. It was unheard of for there not to be mutual trust inside a squad, but Levi didn't trust many people so it was normal for him. Likewise, Carmen barely trusted Petra and Oruo, but the small fragment she clung onto had great significance.

"Good."

"Good."

"Am I going to be given an explanation, or should I wait and find out?" She inquired, but she'd already made the deal, so she didn't have any bargaining material left. But when Levi stayed silent, she knew the answer. "Never mind, it doesn't matter."