Chapter 23

For the next few days, everyone was walking on eggshells around Carmen. No one could mention Annie Leonhardt, or any new information they were finding, such as the two who came from the same town as her. Even though Carmen tried to listen in on more than one occasion, Levi could always tell when she was eavesdropping and put a stop to it at every opportunity he was given. She was usually so stealthy, but he could always figure her out, despite them being so 'different'.

"You're leaving?" Carmen wondered as the scouts prepared for their next mission. "Is it because you're capturing that girl? Stohess if I remember right." Just because she didn't know the full plan, didn't mean she hadn't overhead other squads talking.

"You're not coming." Levi ordered. "It's only been a week, and you're clearly not in the right state of mind for a mission like this."

"Who exactly is going to stop me? You?" She questioned, looking at his broken leg once again.

"You're injured too, maybe it'll be a fair challenge." He replied, but he was dead wrong.

"Like last time? When I clearly won."

"Last time, you had a knife." He reasoned. But it only amused Carmen, so she lifted her skirt midway to reveal the knife she had strapped onto her thigh, along with her small pistol. Levi looked confused, but he wasn't scared of her, he knew she'd had them from the beginning, she was cautious and paranoid, so it made sense. "Though that was a remarkable display, it's painfully obvious it's an open handed threat."

"Unfortunately, you're right." Carmen fixed her skirt. She decided that her mission was irrelevant, because if she chose to kill Levi, then she wouldn't only be killing him, but her friends too. The captain was right when he said their squad lived through them, and if any of the two survivors were to die, then the only living memories of the squad would die too. "If I wanted to, I would. I know the exact location of that abandoned stairway to the underground."

"Who told you?" The captain wondered, he'd have to capture the person who leaked that information, but he was still grateful she hadn't figured out their name yet.

"You can't always monitor conversations. Believe it or not, you aren't the only scout I eavesdrop in." She explained to him. "But, I've decided it's best I don't go. Because you're right, if I see her, I'll kill her. And apparently it's best to keep her alive, despite the risks and obvious civilian casualties." She rolled her eyes at the last words, she didn't know Erwin would take such drastic measures, he'd likely be punished for doing so.

"Planning isn't up to you." Levi defended. "As soldiers, we have a duty to follow orders."

"I'm well aware." Carmen replied, because her whole life was filled with orders and demands, which she had to obey each and every time. "Just come back in one piece."

Levi was surprised at her request, he thought she hated him, which was partially true. However, in the week they'd spent together, the captain couldn't deny the change in her attitude. And here she was, wishing he'd come back safe. Leaving him shocked. "Your concern isn't necessary. I'll be back when the mission is complete." He walked away, annoying the blonde who'd tried to show him kindness.

"What an ass." Carmen scoffed when he was out of earshot. She hated how irritating he was. She thought that after he's helped her, he would be less annoying, but she guessed he'd given up the personality he'd held a few days ago.

When everyone had finally left the base, Carmen was left with a few other scouts, mostly those with injuries. So she decided to wander around the corridors and make herself some tea. She loved the quiet, but something was missing. No laughter, no bickering, everything was just silent. Exactly how it used to be before her mission.

"Excuse me." A scout said, holding a few letters. "You're Carmen, from Levi squad."

"Yes." She confirmed, wondering what he wanted from her.

"Can you deliver these to Captain Levi? I can't seem to find him."

"That's because he's out." Carmen informed and looked at the envelopes of the letters. "But this letters addressed to me." She traced her hand over her own name.

"Yeah, Captain Levi requested that all of his squads letters be given directly to him first." The delivery man answered. "I'm sure he hasn't been reading your letters though, no need to worry."

"Letters?" The assassin questioned. Letters was plural, and so far, she hadn't received any at all.

"Yeah, one a week, sometimes more, sometimes less." He replied.

Carmen froze.

She'd been receiving letters from her superiors, and Levi had been intercepting them. It was insane. Those letters were private and confidential, mostly because if anyone got their hands in them, they'd be able to figure her out. Her entire mission would go bust.

"I'll be sure to get these to him." She suddenly walked away, retreating to her room to decode her letter. The special code was the only thing standing between the scouts and her plan.

She looked at the wax on the letter, and made note of the year placed on it before discarding it and opening the envelope. Then, her eyes scanned the various numbers written in the formation of sentences. The code was simple. It was the the numbers in the letter, add the last number of the date on the wax. Then, the product transfers to its equivalent in the alphabet. 1 would be A, and 2 would be B. And so on. It was simple really, but it meant that it was slightly difficult to crack if you were an outsider.

5 6 2 19 5 16 13 13

The year on the front of the letter was 831, giving her a simple task. So she subtracted 1 from each number and then transferred it.

Dear doll,

Terminate the target.

Ensure Eren Yeager is delivered to the military police.

Your orders are clear, so I expect your response to be just as direct. I don't know why you're avoiding these letters. You can't be dead, you were trained better than that. But if you come back here without blood on your hands, we'll make sure to cut them from you.

From S

Usually, 'S' stood for Sannes, because he was the soldier most responsible for her survival and mission reports. But it had been a while, more than 5 years to be exact. And they were still giving her orders, it was pathetic. 

"But does he know?" The assassin asked herself. What was she supposed to do if he'd decided her letters. Hell, even if he laid eyes on a coded letter, he'd know, he always did.

But what disappointed her most was the fact she didn't suspect anything. She'd been so caught up with her friends and new objectives, she tried to push her original mission aside. And now that it was coming back to find her, she was scared. She didn't want that life again.

So what to do?

Feign her ignorance and let Levi think he had the upper hand? Or confront him and potentially reveal information he didn't know? It was obvious that she should stick to remaining oblivious, that way, she could make sure nothing else made her look suspicious.

To get rid of evidence, she took out Nanaba's hidden stash of cigarettes and found some matches. Then, she burned the letter.