Chapter 43

Bowie was a good horse, he was quick, efficient and had somehow survived despite the tough conditions of the scouts regiment. He had lived through all her expeditions, and maintained peak state. Which was why, when Carmen was desperate to reach Levi, Bowie raced as fast as he could.

The blonde woman was quick to reach the estate with the help of her horse, she ignored everyone and everything that got in her way. However, she met one obstacle that she couldn't disregard.

"What is that..." She said aloud, knowing that her horse couldn't actually answer her.

Ahead of her, a huge amber glow was lighting up the trees, and steam was flowing out of the unknown creature in masses. It had to be bigger than the colossal, maybe even double. She could see it lifting it's hands and then crashing them back into the tough ground, tearing away layers of land as if it were tissue.

The sight made Carmen worry. What if that thing had gotten to Levi, or her squad? What if it dragged itself to the wall? What if it destroyed the wall entirely? Nothing about that titan developed good conclusions. Her mind wandered to the unknown safety of her friends.

Increasing her speed, Carmen neared the estate, staying a far distance from the titan so she wouldn't hurt her horse with the heat. She hated to assume the worst, but with that thing emerging from the estate, it was difficult not to.

Eventually, Carmen spotted 3 figures in the distance, she changed course, speeding towards them. As she got closer, she made out the identities of Armin, Hange and Moblit, each in shock from the event. "Is that..." Armin was first to notice her, causing Hange to shoot their head towards the blonde.

"I'll be damned." The section commander smiled. "Carmen!" They yelled as the woman stopped her horse beside the three.

"Hange." Carmen acknowledged. "Where's Levi?" Instantly, Hange's smile faded and Carmen looked towards the other two for answers.

"Everyone else was in there when that titan transformed." Armin revealed. "If they got to Eren, then there's a chance that they're okay." It was enough to convince Carmen to ditch her horse and sprint towards the gaping hole in the ground, unveiling a layer of crystals. If she wasn't in such a hurry, she would have gazed at the scenery a while longer.

Instead, she dived into the cave, using her gear to travel through it. Everything seemed calm since the titan gained more distance, however, she still had to dodge a few pieces of debris falling from above. Despite the threat, she ignored all the obstacles around her and continued to spiral to the end of the cave.

However, her concentration broke when she heard a grunt to her right. It wasn't Levi - she could tell - but that didn't mean she was going to abandon someone in pain.

"Is anyone here!?" She shouted, receiving a quick answer.

"Over here." The man replied as Carmen ran towards him. He was older than her, burns covering his body, and a hat sat on his head. However, the thing that stuck out most was his arm, which was trapped under a large crystal. The man scoffed, looking Carmen up and down. "You're the last person I expected to see here." He scoffed at her, while she simply rolled her eyes.

Regardless, she was going to help him. There was too much innocent blood on her hands to let another person die, besides, he was clearly in pain. Ignoring his remark, she found a wooden panel and stuck the end under the crystal block.

"I was rooting for you." The man continued, even though she continued to ignore him. "I knew as soon as I saw you that you wouldn't let them win."

Pushing down on the wooden panel, the rock slowly lifted and rolled from his arm, leaving a mess in its wake. "Who are you?" Carmen wondered, he was clearly important if he knew the entire plan.