Chapter 20: Worry

♦ ♢ ♦ Xavier ♦ ♢ ♦

I wake up to sever pain that pulses behind my head. I groan, and try to turn my head, but something blocks me. I adjust my face and look up, and watch in awe as Kaitlyn sleeps.

She's so pretty, it hurts sometimes. But this headache gets worse with each second my eyes are open.

Fuck's sake.

I check the time, and it's five in the morning. I won't be able to go to practice again. And school.

The pain gets intolerable, so I carefully remove myself from Kaitlyn's arms and sit up, my vision tilting sideways.

I put my head into my hands.

"Xavier?" She whispers.

I can't form words, because it hurts still. I feel the bed shift behind me, and then shiver as soft hands pan the width of my shoulders. "Are you okay?" She asks huskily.

"Hurts," I tell her in one word.

"Okay," she says. "Come lie back down?"

I go willingly, and this time, she puts her head on my chest, her hand in my hair as she gives me lazy, relaxing strokes that calm my mind.

"What do you think will help?"

"I've eaten too many tablets already, it's bad for me," I breathe. "I don't know much else."

She looks up from my chest. "What about diverting the mind?"

I frown. "What do you mean?"

"You know... take your mind off of the pain."

"We could try it," I say it like a question.

She pulls me to my side, so we face each other. I'm about to ask what she's thinking about, when suddenly, she leans forward.

Her mouth brushes mine, and my entire mind explodes and calms down at the same time, sending pengs of pain. But it doesn't matter when she kisses me a little harder.

I keep my hand on her hip, but hers thread through my hair, around my shoulder as she brings me closer, her front aligning with mine.

She breaks apart for a breath. "Is it working?"

I definitely wasn't thinking about headaches just now. So I nod slowly, barely seeing her.

She closes the distance again, and this time, her mouth parts mine, a little sound escaping her. Damn.

My tongue works against hers lazily and I groan as she massages my aching head. "Good?" She asks. I nod and sigh as her lips travel to my cheek, her hand still in my hair. "Go to sleep," her voice lulls me, and I'm lost in the amazing feeling of her fingers relieving my pain.

♦ ♢ ♦ Kaitlyn ♦ ♢ ♦

He's fallen back to sleep. The way he'd been holding his head was painful to look at, like the pain was unbearable.

Fuck, I wish there was something to be done. So... I did the only thing I thought might work.

I kissed him.