Chapter 27: He's mine

♦ ♢ ♦ Kaitlyn ♦ ♢ ♦

Tuesday, and my heartache spreads.

Fuck. My. Life.

I can't give him any more space. Two days are enough, right? Probably not, but I'm losing my sanity.

He wasn't on the table, during the break. Nobody knew where he was. My worst fears are of him trying to fuck the hurt I caused him out of his system. Because I can't stand the idea of him with another girl. I can't.

I try to find him before maths, and he's talking to Riley, again.

Fuck. Is he... trying to be with her? Or... are they talking about...

Panic makes me walk toward them. But then I stop short when she gives him a hug. A sob threatens to erupt from my throat. I turn around, unable to watch.

He couldn't have moved on. But it's Xavier we are talking about. He's pretending like I don't exist, like we never had that fight, like he never touched me where I've never allowed anyone else.

Humiliation burns me up. I feel stares and hear gossips about me everywhere. And this would be the part where a knight came to save me. But I have no one but myself.

But maybe this is a good thing? I'll learn to stand up for myself instead of being a damsel in distress all the time. So I put steel in my spine, and turn back to them. Riley leaves for her class, and Xavier starts to walk into maths.

"Xavier," I call out, running toward him to catch up.

He doesn't stop.

"Xavier," I grab his forearm, stopping him.

His entire body stiffens, like my touch repulses him, and a bout of tears threaten to spill from my eyes at the response. He'd had no problem hugging Riley just now. And he hates PDA, no?

"Remove your hand from me," he says flatly.

"Look at me," I plead.

He does, and it's like he's burned me. His stare is flat, almost like he doesn't recognize who I am. And it hurts like hell. He blinks, waiting for me to speak, but I can't. Not without crying. He firmly removes my hand, and walks away.

I stumble back, then walk as slowly as possible to the bathroom. Then I try to remember how to breathe again. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Deep inhales to try to calm down my tear ducts. But it doesn't work for long. I'm not strong enough. Not enough, at all, for him. Not anymore.

♦ ♢ ♦

People snicker as I walk by, and I grit my teeth. I've become a big joke in this school. But I can't care, not when my heart has been run over. It's fucking Wednesday, and this situation doesn't hurt any less. And it doesn't help that I cry myself to sleep. It's a ritual now.

I see Riley with Xavier.

Motherfucking again, and I can't take it anymore.

After biology, I'm the first one out. I'm a woman on a mission, and I need to get to my destination before Xavier. I find Riley packing up from art. She's the last one in the room, which makes this perfect.

And oh, how my bad girl wants to pour out of me.

I slam my hand over her art file, making her gasp and stumble. "Riley," I drawl as I smile at her. "It's been so long, hasn't it, since we last talked?"

She blinks rapidly at me. I feel a little bit bad, because she's a genuinely sensitive girl, but hey, I have to set some boundaries around my man, alright. "Yeah," she says quietly.