Chapter 25: The truth

♦ ♢ ♦ Kaitlyn ♦ ♢ ♦

♦ ♢ ♦ Past ♦ ♢ ♦

I haven't seen Xavier for weeks. I've tried calling, texting his parents through my parents, going to his house, but he wasn't even there.

I've been feeling more and more alone as time goes by, not knowing where he is. Where I can find him, talk to him.

But most of all, I'm worried out of my mind.

Is it his headache sessions again? But for this long?

I've asked the teachers too, but they haven't told me anything either, saying he'll be back soon, that it'll be no time.

Nobody know what happened to him, and it hurts me that I don't either.

Having no place to hang, I go to where I've been usually going outside to. Dexter and Connor. They are sitting on the mound of sand, snickering together. Sebastian playing basketball with the boys, so I can't go to him. And the girls don't like me enough to talk to me, so I just go to Dex and Con. They both have been friendly towards me recently, so I feel a little bit less alone.

"Kaity," Dexter smiles. "Come here," he pats the space next to him. "Why do you look so sad?"

"I don't know where Xavier is," I bite my lip to stop it from quivering. I feel like crying out of helplessness.

Dexter frowns deeply, like he's upset now, and turns to me. "You need to stop thinking about him, Kaity. He's a bad friend."

"He's perfect," I say defensively, turning to face him too. I'll fight for Xavy if I have to.

Connor snickers, and I am confused now. "He isn't, Kaity. He's a bad, bad person."

"He not!" I say outraged. He's the best person I have in my life. Or had, until he vanished.

"You don't know the things he says about you," Dexter huffs.

I blink. "What does he say?"

Dex and Connor share a long look, having some silent conversation. Then Dexter turns to me. "He," his voice drips to a whisper. "He said your mom didn't love you, or your dad. Said she wouldn't give you a baby sibling because she hates you."

I gasp so loud, I think even Jesus hears it.  "You're lying," I say in disbelief.

I've always wanted one. Xavier knows this.

"You're lying," I shake my head.

"Why do you think?"

"How do you know he said this?" I cross my arms, defending myself on my own.

"He," Dexter looks to Connor.

"Texted us," Connor speaks up enthusiastically. "Said that he found you ugly too, that you could never have a boyfriend even if you wanted."

"He texted you?" I whisper, my heart in my throat. "Why would he?" He only texted me...

"We became close friends, Kaity," Dexter says solemnly, "And he texted us all of this before. I stopped being friends with him because I respect you, Kaitlyn. I think you're nice. I wouldn't mind having you as my girlfriend."