Chapter 34: Not your son

♦ ♢ ♦ Kaitlyn ♦ ♢ ♦

Thursday is passing by really fast. Fucking homework and shit has to be submitted today, so now I'm more relaxed on the school front. I've got lunch and the next period free, and that's when I meet with Xavier's father.

Tadem drives me to his office building, and I meet dad there. The receptionist welcomes us warmly before leading us to the man himself.

"Mr Altson, Mr and Ms Sharpe are here to see you."

"Send them in, please," he says.

We walk in and his eyes widen with sadness. "Roland. Kaitlyn," he smiles.

"Joshua," Dad greets. I smile back.

"Please, please, come. Sit."

We take a seat in front of him after dad shakes his hand.

"How have you been? It's been so long."

"Rough," I tell him honestly. "But better now."

Dad nods.

Joshua nods too, like he agrees. "What brings you here out of the blue?"

Dad gives me the stage. I hold my breath. "It's about your wife."

He frowns. "Wife?"

Holy shit. Dad and I share a concerned glance. "Sofia," I clarify.

His eyes widen. "Oh. Her," he clears his throat. "Pardon me. What about her?"

"There's no easy way to put what I want out of this meeting," I say firmly. "So I'll just say it. Divorce her."

He blinks. "What?"

"Divorce her," Dad repeats.

He frowns. "Not that I cared... but why now?"

"She's..." I start.

"Harassing your child," Dad says quietly.

Josh startles us by shooting out of his chair. "What?"

Dad shakes his head. "It's a mess, Josh. The only way we can remove her from his life is by you filing for divorce. I'll help you handle all assets and ensure she gets nothing, but this is for the sake of your son."

"Is he... is Xavier here?" Josh looks between the two of us with dread and regret.

I shake my head. "He didn't want to be."

His dad slumps, falling back into the seat. He holds his head. "Fuck. I never knew..."

"Don't say anything to Sofia without speaking to me or dad first," I plead. "I've planned on something, and I need you to cooperate, for Xavier's sake."

"Fuck," his voice breaks.

I look at dad for help.

"Look, Josh," Dad tries softly. "It's not gone out of hand yet. We need to keep this on the low, or else Sofia will get triggered and release evidence on Xavier. We can't have that."

He looks up, his eyes haunted. "Helen would hate me for this."

Dad and I both suck in a breath.

Shit. This is hard.

Dad looks at me helplessly now, so I take charge. "She won't, if you help us help your son," I say gently, making him look at me. "She'd want you to be strong for Xavier."