Chapter 21: Gratitude

♦ ♢ ♦ Kaitlyn ♦ ♢ ♦

♦ ♢ ♦ Past ♦ ♢ ♦

I sniff hard as we come to sit in the class. Our English teacher looks at me entering the classroom with red eyes, and she rushes over.

"Kaitlyn? What's wrong, sweetheart?" Ms Patel asks.

I look to the side, crossing my arms. "Nothing."

"Then why do you cry, honey?"

A tear escapes my eye.

"Kate?" I hear from behind me, and my heart explodes as I turn to see Xavier entering the classroom after me, his friends coming in afterwards. His eyes widen as he looks at me, and he rushes over. He cups my cheeks. "What happened?"

I blink my tears. My guardian angel. My best friend. My Xavier. He will never judge me. So I tell him, "Sandy pushed me during the break when you were playing with Seb," I bite my lip. "And then he tugged at my hair, saying that I look bad in ponytails."

"He did?" Xavier asks calmly.

"Xavier," Ms Patel says calmly. "Do not go after-"

But Xavier is taking my hand and walking out the class, our friends looking after us in shock. I suppress a blush. He always does this in front of everyone, takes my side no matter what. He protects me, and I have no doubt he will make Sandy pay.

We enter the other section of our sixth grade and spot Sandy laughing with his friends. Xavier tugs at my hand, and I am reluctant to cause a scene, but also thrilled to see him defend me. Like he always does.

"What did you say to her?" Xavier sneers.

Sandy's eyes go wide. "Nothing, Xavier. I promise."

"That's not what Kaity told me," Xavier cocks his head.

"Xavier," Ms Patel enters the classroom, Mr James following suit.

"You know, lying is a really bad thing?" Xavier asks nonchalantly.

"Xavier," Ms Patel warns.

Too late. Sandy is already clutching his cheek, crying after Xavier punched him. "You don't speak to her that way, idiot," he says. "None of you do," he announces to the whole class.

"Xavier," Mr James sighs. "Come to the office, now."

Xavy throws an arm around my shoulders and starts to walk out to a defeated looking Mr James. "You shouldn't punch people for me," I say.

"It's fun," he grins.

I shake my head. "You've already gotten into so much trouble this week."

He shrugs, "So what. They don't seem to understand you are not to be messed with. I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe."

My heart flutters as I smile softly. "Promise?"

"Promise," he smiles back, lifting his hand to show me the bracelet I gave to him. Every time we promise something to each other, I write it in my journal. And every time we promise, Xavier shows me the bracelet to remind me he still wears it. I wear his bracelet too.