No Judgement

We went up to Carlos's house

We went up to Carlos's house. The building seemed new, full of modern decoration, oposite to what mine looked like. I had a good house but I liked being in the center, where I could find everything nearby, so the building was old. Not old that it fell apart but old that it had a history.

We entered and except for the photos the decoration seemed taken from a catalog. I guess traveling so much he won't have time to decorate.

We entered the living room and there was Lando with whom I suppose is Carlos's sister.

-Well, well, well, look who's back- the british said rubbing his hands. Okay today I'll sleep with one eye open because he seems capable of throwing a bucket of water on me for todays joke -Tired of the golf cart that now you want to ride the Ferrari?

I choke on air after this and Carlos tries, failing, to suppress a laugh. Blanca on the other hand doesnt look so happy, she gives a threatening look to her brother who inmediately got himself together.

-Lando!- Blanca said as she gave him a slap to the back of his head.

-What?!- he complains -You're the one with a dirty mind he does own a Ferrari, maybe I was talking about that.

The girl shakes her head ignoring him and gets up to approach me. Carlos on the other hand goes to his friend.

-I'm Blanca, it's so nice to meet you- she says giving a kiss to each of my cheeks.

-Valentina, nice to meet you too.- I told her with a smile.

-I told you to behave- Carlos told Lando who just shrugged his shoulders.

-I'm behaving. She was the one that made me run through the golf court.

-You said you found it funny.

-It would have been more fun if it had occurred to me.

-Literal childen.- Blanca wispered to me. I cant help but laugh.

Carlos gave up on Lando and returned taking the bag I was carrying.

-Let's go, I will show you your room.

Carlos shows me the room where I was going to stay today. He left me so I could change. I went to the bathroom and got ready to go to sleep. Then I went to the living room to say goodbye to the rest. Lando was already asleep on the couch with half his body falling off of it. Carlos was trying to wake him up so he could go sleep on his room. Blanca was also going to bed.

I got between the sheets and the smell of softener flooded my nostrils. The bed was cold but really confortable. Much more than my sister's sofa at least.

I tossed and turned trying to find a confortable possition to sleep. It was not the bed's fault, its just that my mind seems to not be able to shut off.

I heard how everyone went to sleep a long time ago so I decide to go quietly for a glass of water.

I feel the cold floor with my bare feet when I get out of bed but I don't bother to put my shoes on.

-Cant sleep?- there, sitting on the kitchen counter was Carlos eating what seems like a bowl of cereals.

-My goodness Carlos- I say with a hand on my chest reaching to turn on the light-You almost gave me a heart attack.

-For being on my own kitchen?- he asked with a raised eyebrow.

-For being so quietly sitting in your kitchen at two in the morning. In the dark by the way.

-Fair enough- He said jumping from the counter going to a cabinet. He opens it and takes a bottle of wine from it.

-Want some?- wine's not water...but it is a liquid after all isnt it?

I hesitate until I approach him and take the bottle and the opener from him. I open it with the corkscrew while he grabs some glasses.

-I want to emphasize that I am not an alcoholic.- I say over my shoulder while he gives me a shy smile- I don't usually drink two days in a row it's just...

-It's been a long day- he finishes for me.

-Exactly.

We went out to the terrace where he had a small sofa loaded with blankets and the glasses of wine.

We wrap ourselves in blankets to protect ourselves from the cold.

It's like he knew I needed to get out of my head. He spends all the time telling funny anecdotes. About his childhood, his work or his friends, always trying to make me smile somehow.

When I'm already a little tipsy I feel brave enough to ask him what's been on my mind

-Why are you being so nice to me?- he doesnt know where this is coming from and he takes it as a joke

-Why wouldnt I? You're amazing.- He says with one of his fingers brushing my cheek.

-It would be easier if you were a douche.- I avoid his gaze looking at the sky. I've realized I've been looking at the sky much more often when I'm with him.

-What would be easier?

-Not wanting you.- I said looking into his eyes finally. He had a surprised expression and half open lips.

I looked down at his lips and then at his eyes again. I started to lean in slowly, waiting for him to make a move too. But instead of leaning towards me he pulled away and cuped my face between his hands.

-Val...you're drunk.- he said putting a lock of my hair behind my ear.

-God I'm so stupid.- I stand up covering my face embarrassed

-Hey, don't call yourself that.

-No Carlos I am. You offer me your house and you treat me so well that I got confused. It is obvious that you are not interested in me, it's no big deal.

- Val look at me.- His hand gently runs down my arm giving me goosebumps -Look at me- I look at his eyes and he's got a look of determination I've never seen before.

-You're drunk. And you've had a really emotional draining day.- I look down at my feet embarrassed again.

He took my chin and raised my head so that I looked into his eyes again.

-I told you to look at me Valentina.

- You are very wrong if you think that I don't feel the same. The only thing on my mind since I saw you is how I would have loved you to invite me over last night to rip off the dress you were wearing.

-But I want to make things right with you. I know you're not ready for anything yet and I don't want this to be just a one night stand, so I'll wait.

-Because, cariño, I'm sure that once I kiss those lips- He says caressing my lower lip with his thumb - I wont be able to get enough of you.

And with that he dropped his arms, took a step back and went back inside.

What the hell just happened?