Matilda

-Don't tell me to calm down, he's lucky I don't know where he lives and I can't go beat him up- I heard Carlos's voice from Miri's room

Shortly after hanging up on Carlos, Miri called me, having already finished her shift, and immediately came for me, bringing me to her house, telling me that she did not feel safe leaving me alone in mine.

I didn't feel safe at home either.

She told me that I could rest in her room while we wait for Carlos to come.

-Carlos, she needs you to keep a cool head- it must have been a couple of hours but I don't know for sure since I fell asleep, Miri's voice woke me up.

-Well I can't! Just thinking what would have happened...

-But it didn't happen, she got up and fought, now she needs you to be the one to get up and be there for her.

-When she called me and I saw her...I was terrified Miri.

My heart sinks at this. I can't wait to have his arms around me again but I know he needs to get it out, and he wouldn't say all this to me because it would make him feel bad. So I don't move from the bed.

-I know, but she's fine, she'll be fine- Miri said keeping her cool.

-How can you be so calm?

-Are you going to let something happen to her while she's with you?

-Of course not.

-That's why I'm calm.

I could hear Carlos sigh from here.

-Can I...?

-Of course, second door on the right.

I don't know why I turned around and closed my eyes pretending to be asleep. I guess I didnt want them to know I was listening to them.

I heard how Carlos opened the door but he remained under the door frame.

-I'm so sorry Valentina...

I don't even know how he knew I wasn't asleep. I turn around finally making eye contact with him. He tried but couldn't help but frown worriedly when he saw my face.

-Don't even think about apologizing to me for something you haven't done.

I got up in bed and he came over and sat next to me.

-I should have been here- He took my hand and intertwined our fingers.

It stung a little from the injuries he had caused me when he was dragging me on the sidewalk but I held on, all I need now is to feel him close.

-No, you didn't have to be here, put it in your head Carlos, none of this was your fault, you couldn't have helped it.

He put his arm around my shoulder and I leaned against his chest. I feel how he start stroking my hair. I always thought he did it because it calmed me down but lately I think that it's actually him who calms down when doing it.