La Suerte de Mi Vida

I adjust my dress making sure everything is in place while Carlos rings the bell

The door opened and her father appeared. My goodness Carlos is literally a copy of his father.

-So glad you could come- Said his mother, who had come over to greet us while hugging him.

-Happy birthday Dad- Carlos said when he got to his father.

After greeting his father, Carlos took my hand, bringing me closer to his side.

-Mom, Dad, I'm so glad you can finally meet my girlfriend, Valentina.

His mother approached me, took me by the shoulders looking at me and hugged me effusively. Oh well.

-You are even more beautiful than in photos, Carlos has talked so much about you.

-I hope good things only...thank you so much for inviting me- I tell her, a smile creeping into my lips.

-Happy birthday Mr. Sainz- I tell his father, holding out my hand for him to shake.

He looks at it somewhat puzzled, I immediately think I've done something wrong but he ends up taking it.

-Call me Carlos please, you're part of the family now.

-Well happy birthday then Carlos.

-That's better, we're making a barbecue, do you like it?

-I love it.

-Amazing! Come on, everyone is already on the backyard.- he said guiding us to where the rest were.

I look back at my boyfriend and he's grinning from ear to ear. Could this be what I've been searching for my whole life?

I also met Ana, her boyfriend Rodrigo and Blanca's boyfriend Guillermo.

-And what do your parents do, Valentina?- Reyes asked me while we were eating.

I could hear Carlos clearing his throat next to me.

-Mom.

-No it's fine Carlos, don't worry.- I say taking his hand and giving it a little squeeze so he knows I dont mind talking about it- My mother is a lawyer, my father is a teacher. But I have not had contact with them for years, I have lived with my sister since I was 16.

There was a somewhat awkward silence, with no one else knowing what to say until Blanca finally broke the silence.

-Miriam right?- She asked- Carlos told me she's a nurse. Will she be going to the Barcelona GP?

-Yes, that's the plan. She and my sister in law Nia will be there.

Carlos Sr. asks his son about his next race, noting that this was not a topic I wanted to continue talking about.

I appreciated the change of subject.