I Will Survive

I just had to get over this day

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I just had to get over this day. One more day in which his stupid existence disturbs my life and everything would be over.

-You don't have to come if you don't want to, believe me if I didn't have to go I wouldn't go.

Today the trial is held and the truth is that the last thing I want to do is see his face again.

-No way am I going to let you go alone, I'll go even if the only thing I want to do is break that asshole's face-I look at him with a frown- I won't hit him I promise.

-Good, I don't want him to sue you. And I would like to hit him first honestly.

-You couldn't hurt a fly- he laughs.

-Do you want to test it?- I tell him crossing my ars and giving him a threatening glance.

-Nope, absolutely not, I changed my mind- he said raising his hands in surrender.

-Good- I say, a smile creeping in my lips.

-How can you be so scary, you're little!

-My father used to say that all the time. Miri was scared of me growing up.

I stand still for a moment after I realized what I said and it does not go unnoticed by Carlos.

-You miss him don't you?

-He's had his fair chances to come back to our lifes. He didn't, he made his choice.

I don't want to be in someone's life just out of pity.

-Just because he made a decision doesnt mean you can't miss him. Or miss what you had.

I'm not the same person as when he was in our life, I'm sure he isn't either. What I miss does no longer existed.

-Why dwell in the past? It won't come back.

-Would you forgive him if he ever wanted to be in your life again?

-I forgave him years ago. But no, I don't think I would let him be in my life. If after thirteen years you haven't seen the need to have your daughters in your life...

-I'm sorry for bringing up the subject.

-No don't worry. My parents...they are the clear example of how I do not want to raise my children. At least they taught me that, what I don't want to do, how I don't want to be.

-You are not like them-I must have made a face because Carlos looks at me with a frown-Hey what's that face? It's true, you are not like them, you will never be like them.

-What if I'm exactly like them? I'm sure they weren't like that all the time. What if what changed them was having Miri and I?

-You worrying about that makes you just the opposite of them. You'll see, in a few years, when we have children of our own, you'll laugh at this conversation and at even thinking about that.

I hope he is right.

-Miri just texted, they are downstairs- I say looking down to my phone.

-Lets get this over with.

We arrived at the courthouse and the entrance was full of journalists. Amazing.

-We can look for another entrance if you want- Carlos says.

-I do not have anything to hide.

We entered the room and the four of us sat down on one of the back benches. When he entered the room he searched for my eyes among the people until he found them, when he did, a chill ran through my body.

Valentina, he can't do anything to you. It's him who should be scared .

They called me first to the stand. I gave my version of the facts and answered all the questions without looking at the defendant's dock. My gaze was fixed at the end of the room, at Miri, Nia and Carlos. My family.

When I returned to sit next to Carlos, he raised his hands to my cheeks. I hadn't even realized some tears had been shed until he wiped them away.

-You are so strong- he wispered to my ear.

Then it was Paolo's turn. He just sat there and refused to give any statement. Fucking narcissistic. He has made us all come here and he does not even intend to speak.

When he got off the platform I saw how Nia got up next to us and went towards him. None of the guards had time to process what was happening until the brunette punched Paolo full in the nose. She turned around without saying anything, shaking her hand that was surely going to hurt later on, but she had a smile on her face.

When a guard approached her, she did not let him touch her.

-Don't worry, I was already leaving.

-God, I've been wanting to do that since the Christmas incident- she said to Miri as both of them left the room.

-What's the Christmas incident?- Carlos asked next to me.

-You're going to think I'm a horrible person for sticking with him even after that.

-I'm going to think that he is a horrible person and you were just being manipulated.

-He told Nia's niece that Santa wasn't real, during the Christmas night dinner-I spat out.

-Was it by accident?

Nia almost broke his nose right now, what do you think?

-No, he was so calm, the girl was super excited talking about the gifts she thought Santa was going to bring her and with the most serious face I've ever seen, he spat at her to ask her parents since Santa wasn't real and they were the ones buying her the presents.

-Please tell me the girl was eleven or twelve.

-She was six.

Carlos got up from the bench and before he could take a step I took his arm and sat him down again.

-You sit your ass back down I don't need him to sue anyone else from my family.

-He's a monster!

Don't tell me Carlos, we are in his fucking trial.

-And he will have what he deserves, you'll see.

We had to wait for the judge to make his decision but it didn't take long. The judge entered the room and we all got up, I felt how Carlos's hands found mine and I intertwined our fingers giving him a small squeeze.

-Paolo Conti, I find you guilty of attempted kidnapping, assault and extortion. You are sentenced to ten years in prison and a restraining order from Miss Valentina Diaz, for life.

As soon as I hear this, Carlos takes me in his arms. I hide my head in the crook of his neck, grabbing into the back of his shirt.

-It's over mi vida- he wispered.

-It's over.

-It's over

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.