twelve | misadventures

-TWELVE-

"When will you stop asking me to accompany you to places?" Asked Juniper, as she was dragged down the pathway to the woods. "I think it's our thing now at this point." Noticing her cat getting distracted, she clicked her tongue for him and said, "Kelpie, float." The familiar meowed in understanding, allowed himself to grow a little bigger, extending and flapping his wings as he flew beside the trio.

Wednesday rolled her eyes and led Juniper into the forest. "I found out where the old meeting house is," said the girl as they walked along the leaf-covered path into the deep, dark woods of Jericho. "The real one," she added, seeing Juniper's confused look. 

The pair made it to a run-down, barely kept shack, which had trees, moss and plants growing within it. Juniper sensed an off energy again, which sent shivers down her spine. 'Wow,' she thought to herself, 'Seems like the Rowan incident messed me up quite a bit.' 

Lately she'd been feeling an odd, bad energy around her place of comfort, which made her more and more wary of what it contained. The energy was associated with someone, certainly, but she couldn't place who. "Scour the place," she nodded at Kelpie, "See if you can find anything." Puffing a ring of smoke from his nostrils in agreement, the familiar took off and observed the house for threats and clues. 

"I hope you're prepared for more attacks," said the dryad, looking around once her familiar had set off on his task.

"I'm always prepared." The goth looked around, her face set emotionless as usual.

Thing tapped around a little as Wednesday dropped her bag down, and she said, "I was expecting more too."

Neither of the girls noticed an old, disheveled man walking up from behind them. Juniper started in surprise when he hissed at Wednesday in a gravelly voice, "Who you talking to, little girl?"

"Use "little" and "girl" to address me again and I can't guarantee your safety," the black-haired girl calmly said. 

"This is my place," he said, gruffly. "Get out!" As he got a little closer to Wednesday, the standing redhead felt a surge of protectiveness and didn't hesitate to step in front of the man, eyes blazing green and claws ready to strike a killing blow.

"One more step and you're going to kiss your miserable life goodbye," Juniper snarled, her horns glistening against her pointed ears. "Try nothing with her."

Wednesday pulled her friend back, saying, "Thing, a hand here?" 

The hand seemed to nod as it caught the vagrant around the throat in a constricting chokehold, not letting go till he'd chased the man off. Wednesday turned to Juniper with a smirk on her face, saying, "See? I'm never unprepared." 

Thing scuttled back at them and tapped something out. 

"There's nothing here." Wednesday replied curtly. He tapped out something else, and she scoffed, "No, I can't just touch something." He tapped out something which the dryad could translate to 'Touch Juniper', making Wednesday's eyes go wide. "No, why would you suggest such a thing?" She scowled. "My visions seem to happen spontaneously." More tapping. "I would rather dye my hair pink than ask my mother for advice."

Juniper looked at Wednesday and raised an eyebrow, making the girl say, "Oh, you want me to prove it to you?" She began touching random things, like a wood block, a pole, saying, "No. Nothing." Mockingly she picked up a soiled Taco Bell bag, saying, "Ah, I bet this will give us some real insight." She jerked her head upwards for a second before throwing the bag aside. "My visions are about as predictable as shark attacks."