forty | miss her

-FORTY-

Juniper couldn't sleep that night. Every time she closed her eyes, her mind bore images of her friend's body. Every time she closed her eyes, nightmares overcame her and had her waking up trembling with sweat and tears on her cheeks.

She shook her girlfriend awake gently and said in a voice so pitiful that it made a pang of hurt spread through the goth's cold, dead heart, "Winnie, I-I can't close my eyes..."

"Yes you can, cara mia," whispered the goth, sliding an arm around the dryad's waist and kissing her cheek. "Lie down with me, and breathe slowly, to begin with."

Juniper's eyes held a guilt and fear that was heartbreakingly sorrowful, and she said in a small voice, "I...I can't...I'm a coward, I'm too scared..."

"Juniper Marceline Carrow," said Wednesday, holding the redhead's face, "You are no coward. I swear on it. Come, lay down on my chest, focus on one thing, and breathe slowly."

Juniper nodded, laying back down and resting her head on her girlfriend's chest. "In...out," guided the goth, hesitantly running a hand through the girl's hair, trying to relax her as much as possible.

Slowly, Juniper allowed herself to close her eyes, her restless sleep finally becoming dreamless and peaceful.

At that time, however, it seemed like peace was too far from reach to help her.

—Time Skip—

There it was, that sad, sad day. Juniper nearly cried as the first rays of the bright morning sun fell in a white sliver on Wednesdays side, and a multicoloured one on Enid's.

"Good morning, amore," whispered Wednesday, burying her face in Juniper's hair and kissing her head, knowing that the girl liked then she did that. "Slept easier?"

"A little," admitted Juniper, fiddling with the hem of her girlfriend's shirt. "I don't want you to leave."

"I don't want to go and leave you behind here with these imbeciles who's mental and physical capacities aren't as unique as yours," replied the goth. "But these are the consequences of what I have done."

"Right..." whispered Juniper, sitting up and stretching. "I'll go an change, I'll help you pack."

"Thank you, cara mia," Wednesday smiled a little, accepting the kiss Juniper gave her before the dryad stood up to leave.

Truth be told, she felt a bit ill, her stomach churning, nausea making her throat warm up, her thoughts racing. She dashed to the bathroom and threw up the contents of the small meal she'd eaten the night before. Wednesday hurried inside with her and held the redhead's hair back, while the dryad puked more.

Juniper stood up after five minutes of vomiting, only to see crimson blood clotting in the disgusting green internal residue. Her hands shook as realisation dawned on her, guilt and fear gnawing at her insides steadily.

"Why is there blood?" Asked Wednesday, flushing the toilet as her girlfriend stayed frozen on the spot, her eyes wide as she zoned out completely, her normally steady hands trembling like leaves.

"This was not the best way to start my day," admitted Juniper in a high-pitched voice, eyes riveted on where the bloodstained vomit was inside the toilet.