eighteen | complications galore

-EIGHTEEN-

The bees buzzed outside happily, and the shed smelled like freshly harvested honey; one of Junipers favourite aromas. Both her and Wednesday stood beside Eugene, looking at the bulletin board in front of them with identical calculating looks.

"Enid wouldn't let me keep this in our dorm," explained Wednesday, crossing her arms across her chest.

"No worries. Mi colmena es su colmena," smiled the curly haired boy beside them. "I assume this is the creature that's been rampaging in the woods?"

"You've heard about it before?" Wednesday asked, eager for information.

"Rumors. Mr. Fitts banned me from bug-hunting until further notice," sighed the boy. "Claimed a bear was on the loose, which I knew was a lie. Didn't match their hibernation schedules."

"Exactly! Normies are so close minded," Juniper agreed, putting her hands in her pockets.

"Speaking of monsters with sharp claws, could you give this to your roomie?" Eugene handed Juniper a jar of honey. "Put in a good word for me? I hear she's still sans date for the Rave'N."

"Eugene," the goth chidingly said.

"I know the chances of her asking me are next to zero, but I don't care," he shrugged, "I'll keep putting myself out there until Enid finally... sees me."

"But she's got eyes for Aj—" Juniper was silenced by Wednesday clapping a hand over her mouth.

"And if she never does?" Asked the goth, glaring at her girlfriend.

"She will," nodded the boy. "I'm playing the long game. My moms say people will appreciate me when I'm older."

Moving her girlfriend's hand from her mouth, Juniper said, "See, this is why I want gay parents. My parents would've just snapped at me to get over it."

"They're probably just trying to make me feel better, but..." Eugene said, pointedly.

"Still. At least they're trying to make you feel better instead of invalidating you completely," scoffed the dryad.

"Listen, people like me and you, we're different. We're original thinkers, intrepid outliers in this vast cesspool of adolescence," said Wednesday, looking at Eugene. "We don't need these inane rites of passage to validate who we are."

"So you're not going to the Rave'N either? Both of you?" He asked.

"Actually, I am," said Wednesday. "With Xavier."

"Much to my extreme displeasure," mumbled Juniper, earning a kick to the shin from Wednesday.

"I see," said the boy knowingly.

"It's not like I like Xavier," she said hastily. "I just have ulterior motives."

"Sketches are the closest thing we have to a lead to try and stop this thing," admitted Juniper, changing the topic upon seeing Wednesday getting antsy

"That circle..." the boy squinted at the sketch, "I think I know where that is."

"Show me," said Wednesday.