thirteen | admittances and arguments

-THIRTEEN-

Wednesday clapped a hand over Juniper's mouth and pulled her away from the opening, the dryad's terrified scream echoing in her ears as she did. 

"What's so terrifying about that?!" Wednesday exclaimed, letting her friend go. 

Calming her trembling body and moving Wednesday's hand from her mouth, the dryad mumbled, "Monsters and dryads...not a good mix." 

Nodding with a slight frown, the goth said, "The monster must've left tracks. Come on!" 

They ran in the direction where the monster went, finding out that the tracks merged from animal's to human's.

"The monster's human." Wednesday realised, catching the dryad's hand in shock. She felt that same feeling again, the one where her fingers tingled and her blood began rushing in her ears as Juniper's hold tightened around her hand.

Kelpie took shelter in Juniper's bag again, for the rain began to go from a drizzle to a right downpour from the heavens, soaking them through. Concerned, Juniper let go of Wednesday's hand, pulled off her green bandanna and hastily bewitched it, so that it turned waterproof. She shook it out a few times, and like an illusion it became big enough to wrap around her bag, keeping it from getting drenched any further.

"You could get sick," said Wednesday, "Yet you protect your cat."

Juniper glared at her friend, "Winnie, my cat is a dragon. I cannot have him ill, else he might end up burning my entire dorm down with his sneezing."

"What the hell are two you doing?" Asked a familiar voice. 

Before Juniper could react, Wednesday shot back, "We were following the monster."

Concerned, the boy asked, "You saw it? It's here? Do you have a death wish or something?"

Suddenly suspicious about his coincidental appearance, Wednesday asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I overheard you say you were checking out the old meeting house," he explained. "It's lucky I showed up when I did."

"We did learn one thing," said the goth, "The monster is human."

"Its tracks turned from monster prints to human ones," added Juniper, pushing her rain-drenched hair out of her face.

Unconvinced, he said, "Show me."

Much to the girls' dismay, as they went back to the same place, only to find that the menacing imprints in the mud had vanished.

"The rain washed them all away," sighed Wednesday. 

"It's almost like the universe is against us in solving this damn mystery," scoffed Juniper, glaring up at the pouring heavens.

"We know what we saw," scowled Wednesday, seeing his disbelieving expression.

"I'm trying to keep an open mind," replied Xavier. 

"How big of you," replied the girl. 

Scowling in disapproval, he muttered, "I do think you might be right about Rowan."

"Why the sudden change of heart?" Juniper frowned, feeling a pang of jealousy when he sheltered Wednesday with his umbrella. She caught the girl's gaze and looked away, her cheeks burning with rotten envy.

"I texted him again today. I said maybe we could meet over spring break and go snowboarding like we did last year," he said, "This time he texted right back, said he wouldn't be able to make it."

"Only you never went snowboarding last year," Wednesday added in.

"You were with my family in our cabin out in Heather's Grove during spring break," said Juniper. "Rowan was ill at the time, and your father refused to keep you home."