twenty eight | some mistakes cannot be forgiven

-TWENTY EIGHT-

Wednesday took Juniper to Xavier's art shed, where he was painting another portrait of the monster. Juniper stepped back, not wanting to enter the shed, as she said, "My love, I'm afraid I can't come in here again."

"Of course you can," said the goth, taking her hand. "I'm here with you, cara mia." However, as they entered, Juniper was so careful with looking right at the ground, she didn't see the slightly suspicious look on the goth's face.

Walking inside, the dryad in tow, Wednesday made Xavier stop his violent flicking of paint on the canvas, saying, "I need your help." Upon seeing his gloating smile, she added, "Don't gloat."

"What, do you want some drawing lessons?" He asked, raising an eyebrow and taking the drawing from her when she handed it to him.

"Your line work's a little shaky," he noted, looking at it.

"I saw that in a vision," admitted Wednesday. "Do you recognize it?"

He gestured to something on his soft board which looked similar to her drawing, and she asked, "When did you draw this?"

"Couple days ago," he admitted. "I started having those dreams again, like before."

"Was the monster in them?" Juniper frowned.

"No, but I could feel it in the shadows," he said. "You know, kind of lurking in my mind."

"You know where this is?" Asked the goth.

"Yeah. It's the old Gates mansion," replied the boy. "I pass it when I go running."

Juniper noticed a large canvas and undid the sheet which had been thrown over it. It revealed a large, almost life-size painting of Wednesday playing the cello. The black paint made it look ever so realistic, but it made her heart beat like thunder against her chest. 

"Okay. Listen..." said the boy, "After the dance, I just wanted to forget about you, but I couldn't. So I started painting and that's what came out. I can hear you up there, playing."

"Boy, she is my girlfriend. Whatever shot you think you might have here is nonexistent," snapped Juniper. "Honestly, you shock me sometimes." He put out his hand, and the painting began to move, producing the alluring music of Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor.

"In my defense, I didn't know you guys were dating back then," he shot back.

"You drew her, lover boy!" Grumbled the dryad. "The least you could've done is probably destroy the painting after finding out about her and I."

"Juniper," said the goth, after having seen some other drawing. "Come on. We don't have time for this."

Confused at how she was addressed, but otherwise unalarmed by the situation, Juniper followed her partner to wherever she was taking her, and couldn't help but wonder why on earth the goth's attitude towards her changed. Kelpie, who appeared shortly after from a quick hunt for mice, meowed in a consoling way.

The pair arrived at the Gates Mansion, whose rusted gate had ivy twining around it in poisonous wreaths and cobwebs on the corners of the intricately designed metal. There was a chain around the bars but was unlocked, giving the dryad an eerie feeling.

"This is where Garrett Gates lived," noted Wednesday. "The boy my father was accused of murdering. The sheriff told me his family died, along with their legacy of hate. But ghosts don't kill the living."

"Unless of course a séance or necromancy ritual goes wrong. You know, harming the tormented souls of beyond and all that," shrugged Juniper, earning a slight glare from the goth.