twenty two | coincidence? it is not

-TWENTY TWO-

Both Wednesday and Juniper followed Morticia to a cemetery, where the woman stood in front of a grave labelled "Garret Gates". The dark haired woman broke off the petal of a rose and threw the stalk at the gravestone.

"Why, why, why does she look so pretty, even when she's scorning someone's grave?" Muttered Juniper.

"Save your sapphic exclamations over my mother for later," said Wednesday. "Now isn't the time."

The pair of them hid away quickly when Morticia turned around, and watched as she walked away in sadness.

"Come on," said Wednesday, taking her partner's hand. "We've got to go visit my father."

—Time Skip—

"I haven't been in a Jericho prison since...well, since I was charged for almost murdering those boys," chuckled Juniper as the pair entered the visiting area of the prison. At her feet padded Kelpie, who hissed at everything which dared to move. "Not so pleasant to be back."

The cell door opened and closed, handcuffs clicked as Gomez was seated behind protected glass. He smiled at the two of them, "My little tormenta, how's your mother?"

"Devastated," said Wednesday with a frown. "She hates you in orange."

"Wednesday and I caught her laying a rose on a grave earlier today," added Juniper. "The headstone read 'Garrett Gates.'"

"The very boy you've been arrested for murdering," the goth raised an eyebrow. "Care to explain?"

The man then began to narrate his story, "Garrett was infatuated with your mother. He mistook her kindness for interest. His infatuation turned into obsession, and he started stalking her."

"This is why I'm a lesbian," muttered Juniper. "Men." Noticing Gomez, she added, "Most men, sir. You are by far the best."

"Thank you, Miss Carrow," smiled Gomez, ultimately warming Juniper's heart at the formality.

"Cara mia, don't deviate," said Wednesday, nudging her girlfriend. She turned to her father, "Why didn't you call the police?"

"We tried. But his family were the oldest and richest in Jericho. No one believed us," sighed the man. "Even Marceline Carrow's persuasion spells couldn't help."

"Seems like my mother's managed to at least do something which isn't beneficial for her directly," scoffed the dryad, picking her cat up from the floor and stroking his fur as she placed him in her lap.

"Garrett's father, an outcast-hating bigot, was furious that your mother had accused his only son," continued Gomez. "It all came to a head the night of the Rave'N Dance. Your mother and I stepped out to catch our breath..." his story faltered for a moment as the horrors of that night seemed to pass over his kind eyes, "And that's when I saw him. He had broken into the school. His twisted love for your mother had made him insane. His eyes bore into me, brimming with murderous intent.

"My life flashed before my eyes. Driven by jealousy and hate, Garrett was unstoppable. When I saw the sword, my survival instinct kicked in." His eyes became watery, as he completed, "It was a terrible accident."