Chapter 1 - He's Back.

All Rights Reserved

©Sapphiresamo 

----

Chapter 1

He’s back.

It’s a lie. I’m sure it’s a lie. It’s just… I can’t believe it. Yes, the magazines and tabloids are saying it’s true, but it just can’t be. He can’t come back. Not now, not after all those years of no contact and complete avoidance.

I don’t even know when he was going to arrive, but I’ve heard that he’ll be here soon. The small town of Bayfield was already buzzing with excitement, when they announced his tour was cut-short and now it was even busier with the media arriving to try and catch a glimpse of him.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen him, and in that time I’d managed to make only one friend. Yes I know, that sounds kind of silly. But as the years passed by I had always hoped he’d contact me and reassure me that we were still best-friends. But he never did. And so I gave up and found Mary; the greatest friend ever.

Mary was definitely the most incredible friend, especially with her ridiculous British accent and her clumsiness.

“So… are you excited?” She asked grinning at me.

“Excited about what?” I muttered taking books out of my locker. “Was it History next or English?” I asked myself.

“…Saffron!”

“What?” I cried slamming my locker and facing towards my very loud friend.

“I said… are you excited that Kayden’s here?” She squealed jumping up and down.

Sighing, I picked up my bag and trudged down the hallway. “I’m not really bothered Mary. I’m sick of hearing his name everywhere.” I groaned running my fingers through my raven black hair.

“Oh come on Saff!” Mary cried gripping my arm. “How can you not like him? He’s amazing, especially the way he looks. The gorgeous soft brown hair, his alluring blue eyes and his sexy…”

“Enough,” I interrupted, tired of people talking about him. “Can we just get to class?”

Shrugging she strolled alongside me as we entered the class and sat at our seats.

There were loads of rumours as to why he would come back to this place. Some people had said that maybe he was having trouble with his manager; others thought he had health related problems and needed to rest before continuing his tour. None to which I knew the answer to.

A small tap on my shoulder broke me away from my thoughts. Glancing up I see Mary slip a note towards me. Making sure no one was looking; I hurriedly snatched the note and turned to face the front again.

Opening the note, I quietly read: “Mr Ford is staring at you. Guess he needs a favour again.” Glancing up, I looked to see whether what Mary had written was true and as Mary said, Mr Ford was definitely looking at me.

Slouching in my seat, I wondered what task Mr Ford would give me this time. As everyone continued working, I heard Mr Ford call me up to his desk. Slightly worried about what he was going to say, I hesitantly got up and made my way towards him.

“Ah…Miss Thatcher,” Mr Ford grinned, his small moustache twitching. “I have a favour to ask.”

Plastering a fake smile, I stood in front of him and waited for him to continue. “I was hoping you could be an escort for our new student coming in next week.” He smiled, smoothing his moustache down with his hand.

Escorting new students was one of the few disadvantages of being top in my class. I loathed this job, specifically because I was always the one to be asked to do it. But I have to say, the worst thing is that everyone expects me to do it willingly and with a huge grin on my face.

Being a good student meant that I always agreed to help everyone. It’s something I can’t help but do. “Okay, sir.” I replied, knowing that I would know be stuck with a new student for the rest of the week.

“Fabulous!” He exclaimed, clapping his hands together and drawing the attention of the class to him. “Now get back to your seat, so we can continue with this lesson.”

Nodding my head sheepishly, I moved across the classroom and to my seat.

As soon as I sat down, I felt the pressure of Mary’s pen on my shoulder. “What happened?” She asked curiously.

“I’ll tell you later.” I whispered back, keeping my focus to the front of the class. I anxiously waited for Mary to continue pestering me, but was relieved to find that she had quietened down and was now listening to Mr Ford.

~✩~✩~✩~

“What did he say?” Mary demanded, as soon as we left the classroom and started to head towards our lockers.

Standing in front of my locker, I put in my combination of numbers and it opened. I quietly put my books in and started taking out my gym clothes.

“Well?” Mary asked again, tapping her heels irritatingly on the spotless floor.

Groaning out loud, I slumped against the locker and closed my eyes. “He wants me to escort a new student.”

“Isn’t Principal Freeman supposed to decide?” Mary questioned, shutting her locker and slumping alongside me.

“Yep, but for some reason…” I muttered, but was interrupted by the loud shrill of the school bell. “Urgh, come on… time for gym.”

Standing up, I turned back to look at Mary.

“I hate gym.” Mary moaned, getting up and slinging her gym bag over her shoulder.

“Everyone knows that…” I giggled, remembering Mary’s protest about how gym is ‘physical torture’ and that she would ‘sue’ the school, which then obviously landed her in detention.

“Come on…” I laughed, dragging her towards the changing rooms. “Let’s get this over with.”

“Fine…whatever.” Mary sighed, marching ahead of me, towards hell or what teachers like to call it ‘Gym Class’.