Chapter 30 - The Beginning of the End.

All Rights Reserved

©Sapphiresamo 

----

Chapter 30

The Beginning of the End.

Tossing yet another bottle into the ever-growing trash bag, I sighed as I glanced around the semi-clean room.

Cleaning up had proved to be a difficult task.

Mum had managed to hide the alcohol quite well as I found them hidden in absurd places; a couple were hidden under her bathroom sink behind a box of tampons, a few were folded neatly in between some clothes in the closet and another behind the bed headrest. It was as if she had tried to hide her addiction from herself.

As soon as I opened the last cupboard and grabbed the empty bottle of whiskey, my mobile phone boomed its ringtone. Setting the bottle on the counter and making my way out of the house, I answered the call.

“Hello?” I answered, closing the front door behind as the cold breeze welcomed me.

“Hi, Saffron Thatcher?” The familiar voice said over the line. “This is Principal Freeman from Grayson High.”

“Oh hi, Mr Freeman.” I felt myself scowl, panic rising within me. Was this about my scholarship? “Is something wrong?” I asked cautiously.

“Well, I’m calling in concern of your scholarship.” He began. “Your attendance lately has been…” 

I zoned out - partially anyway.

It felt like a dream as Mr Freeman told me about my absence from school lately and relayed the scholarship’s high expectations. I only tuned back in when he explained what would need to happen if I wanted to continue at Grayson.

“Saffron, are you still there?” The principal questioned.

I snapped back to reality, feeling as though this was a nightmare. “Yes, I am.”

“I have to go now but, Saffron, you really are one of our best students. I honestly wish I didn’t have to do this.”

I pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to supress the tears. “It’s fine. I understand.” Blinking rapidly to stop the tears from escaping, I noticed a sleek black truck pull up to the curb in front of my house.

Kayden climbed out and started heading towards me as the Principal spoke again. “I really hope you’ll try and finish your time at Grayson High.”

My hand slid to my cheek, checking for any escaped tears and I nodded not realising that the Principal couldn’t see me. Kayden walked up the steps and smiled at me in greeting. My eyes travelled over his shirt and paused at a crease over his chest, while Principal Freeman continued on.

After telling me he hoped that I’d be there next week for the meeting to discuss my options, we said goodbye and hung up.

My gaze was still locked on the crease present on Kayden’s shirt when he spoke up. “You planning a weekend binge, or something?” He joked, motioning to the bag of bottles and trash that I had brought out earlier.

I looked down at the phone in my hand. I shook my head and started tapping the phone against my palm.

“What’s wrong?” Kayden asked, the joking tone gone from his voice.

I hesitated – afraid of saying the words out loud.

“I think I just lost my scholarship to Grayson High.” I told him, my eyes slowly crawled up to meet his.