Chapter 8 - Wandering Thoughts.

All Rights Reserved

©Sapphiresamo 

----

Chapter 8

Wandering Thoughts.

“Can you explain to me why the school are throwing a Halloween dance?” Mary asked, as soon as we exited class.  

I shrugged and continued to make my way towards the student council room. It was lunch time and the student council had called an emergency meeting to discuss the Halloween Dance.

Mary sat beside me as we listened in on Mrs Rochester, the art teacher. For the past half an hour she was explaining the details of the dance, which people would be in charge of the supplies and who would decorate the schools main hall.

As she droned on, I felt myself lose concentration and start thinking about Kayden.

It’s been almost three weeks since the papers had announced his arrival and hardly a week since our encounter at the convenience store. Now it seemed like he was everywhere.

Girls came into the store giggling about how they spotted him taking a jog along the lake while they were on their way to school, or how they saw him at some of the parties on the weekend or even at a couple during the week. Somehow in the few weeks that he had been here he’d made a ton of new friends and seemed to be living a quite eventful life.

A few reporters in the first few weeks had found their way into town and snapped pictures of him, which included pictures with a group of friends, a girl at his side as he drove down the street in his shiny mustang and some other random pictures.

The annoying feeling I had towards him wouldn’t for some reason leave me and it increased when I remember how close we were and how, now he couldn’t even remember who I was.

The sharp ring of the bell, made me jump as my attention returned to Mrs Rochester. “So I’ll see you guys today at 3 o’clock sharp.” She grinned clamping her hands together.

I quickly grabbed my backpack and slung it over my shoulders, before picking up my unfinished lunch. Mary glanced back at me as she exited the class, and I followed her immediately.

“Why do we have to do this?” She groaned as soon as I caught up to her.

Tossing my lunch into the nearest garbage can, I continued to walk next to my upset friend. “It’s really not that bad.” I smiled trying to cheer her up. “It’s only on Friday, and we’ve got plenty of decorations. We just have to put them up and we’re done.”

Mary let out a loud throaty sigh, as we neared my locker and ran a hand through her styled hair. “I guess… it just means that I’ll have less time to spend with Peter.”

Turning away from my open locker, I raised an eyebrow at her.

“Mum’s cracking down on me again. She said I stayed out too late last weekend and now I have to come home straight away after school.” She muttered. “I think she’s even calculated the amount of time it should take me to get home.”

Mary’s Mum was small and bubbly, and looked like an older version of Mary. The only downfall about her was the fact that she was very over-protective. I guarantee if it was up to her, she would lock Mary up in a tower like Rapunzel, just to protect her. But luckily she hasn’t resorted to that yet.

I sometimes wish my mother was like that.

Taking a couple of textbooks out of my bag, I put them away in the locker and closed it. “We have about thirty minutes after school till we start decorating the main hall. So just tell your Mum about the dance and how you have to work after school, and then you can spend the extra time with Peter.” I suggested.