Chapter 29 - Letting Go.

All Rights Reserved

©Sapphiresamo 

----

Chapter 29

Letting Go.

I managed to stay at the hospital every day; in order to be near my mum. The doctor’s had said she was improving slowly by slowly and that soon she’d be able to go back home.

Hearing this, my mother was extremely happy. According to the nurses she was a very demanding and grumpy patient, to which my mum replied with “I don’t like hospitals. Not my fault.”

Day by day I was seeing my mum improve. A glow had replaced her once very pale face; she was laughing more and seemed to be more energetic than ever.

Luca even managed to stay. When I asked him if he was going to leave us again, he pushed me lightly and sat down beside mum. “I’m not leaving anytime soon.”

“Are you sure?” I asked, slightly amazed at his answer.

He looked at me with an annoyed expression. “Do you want me to leave?”

“No.”

And that was that. Since then he had visited mum every day and even successfully found a job. He was turning back to himself, back to the old Luca and I was so glad to have my brother back.

~✩~✩~✩~

Mary had dropped by every couple of days to check if I needed anything and to spend some time with me. But for the past couple of days she hadn’t come. I tried to ring her, but the call would go straight to voicemail. 

Kayden also seemed to have disappeared. He had left that day, and hadn’t come back. I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to call him, but I just couldn’t. I was afraid that he’d pick up and then tell me he was leaving or that he hated me or something similar to that.

I told Mary this couple of days ago and she gave me a lecture.

“You always worry Saff.” She started, scowling at me. “Just call him. It’s like what William E. Hickson said ‘If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again.”

Today was like any other day; I was sitting there watching my mum slip into a drug-induced sleep, when Mary arrived. Checking to make sure my mum was fine; I grabbed a hold of Mary’s arm and dragged her out the room.

“Where have you been?” I asked shutting the door behind me.

Turning towards Mary, I saw she was avoiding my gaze and for some reason she didn’t seem like herself. Looking at her, I noticed that she wasn’t dressed as she normally would. Today she wore sweatpants and a baggy top. Her hair too was up in a messy bun and no makeup adorned her face.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, forcing her to look up at me.

I watched as Mary bit her lower lip, her eyes filling with unshed tears. “Peter dumped me.” She choked out, a sob escaping her lips as she wrapped her arms around me.

For a second or two I was shocked. I had never seen Mary cry like this and so I wrapped my arms around her comforting her as she wept. I knew this was going to happen sooner or later. But I guess this wasn’t the right moment to say ‘I told you so’ to Mary. 

“What happened?” I asked pulling away from her and handing her a tissue.

Mary blubbered as she explained to me what had happened.

She had received a text from Nelly explaining that she was at some party and that Peter was there with some girl. Mary refused to believe this because Peter had told her he had football practise, and so then Nelly sent her a picture of Peter and the girl.