𝟎𝟏 ┆𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

.𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑛 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑎 𝑛𝑎𝑚𝑒 𝑜𝑛 𝑝𝑎𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑠.
.

"You can't deny your origin, Evie", Mom shook her head glancing at me with her brown eyes full of lies that I fortunately did not inherited from her.

Instead I looked up from my place at the dinner table and glanced at her with my blue eyes that I got from my Father.

"I'm not trying to deny anything, Ma. I'm just saying people only see my name and not the real me", I sighed shaking my head and standing up from the table to help her wash the dirty dishes.

"That's not true. They see the real you, your name doesn't matter", she smiled patting my back and took the dishes from my hands walking over to the sink putting them in the water that waited for them.

"Of course it does! Everything I have ever accomplished is because I'm a Fittes! Not because of my talents nor my hard work. It's only ever my name", I slightly raised my voice making Penelope Fittes turn around cocking an eyebrow at me.

"Lower your voice, young lady", she said sternly with a raised eyebrow then got back to washing the dishes.

"It's just that-", I started again quieter this time but I stopped myself sighing and flopping down onto the couch near the dining table.

"Just what, sweetheart?", Mom asked but didn't turn around to face me and I just looked outside the window moving the curtain out of my line of view.

"Haven't you ever wanted to be more than your name? More than known as a Fittes? Being known for your talent or hard work or brave actions? Haven't you thought about a world where you could be more than Penelope Fittes?", I asked her and she stopped for a moment.

Haltering to wash the dishes turning to me with a stiff smile. "My dear", she began and I already knew this wouldn't end well. "A world where I am known for more than 'just' Penelope Fittes is a world without 'the problem' hence the reason why you have clothes, something to eat and can educate yourself", she set down the plate she was drying onto the kitchen isle.

"Why are you trying so hard to put your name in the shadow?", she asked furrowing her eyebrows sitting down next to me grabbing my hand. "You are a Fittes. Be proud of it", she said and smiled at me.

I looked down at my other hand resting on my lap. "I just want someone to see me for me. Not my name. Not my family inheritance. Not my legacy. Just me", I hiccuped wiping the newly flowing tears away with the rim of my sweater.

"I know, Evie. I know", Mom said then she sighed giving me a newspaper purposely leaving open the ads for job interviews.

One caught my eye as I sniffled and grabbed the newspaper.

LOCKWOOD and CO
The prestigious Psychical Investigations agency, requires a new Junior Field Operative. Duties will include on-site analysis of reported hauntings and the containment of same.

The successful applicant will be SENSITIVE to supernatural phenomena, well dressed, preferably female, and NOT above sixteen years in age.

UNSUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS will include time-wasters, fraudsters and persons with criminal records.
Apply in writing to :35 Portland Row, London W1

I looked up at my Mom seeing her smile at me. Then she nodded and I smiled as well.

At least I'll get out of the house.