𝟏𝟖 ┆𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

.𝑝𝑢𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘.
.

The light of our flashlights illuminated the way up the creaking stairs as I began to feel slightly dizzy due to the visitor being stronger now that the suns down.

I could already hear some tapping noises coming from the door furthest away from us down the dark hallway. The ghost lamps on the street gave the inside of the house a gloomy green hue making it even creepier.

"I don't like this at all", I shivered slightly as I shown my flashlight around the hallway taking a look at the wallpaper.

"Knocking's back", Lucy informed behind me and I turned to look at her with a slight nod of confirmation as Lockwood stood in front of us.

"Getting louder", I said as Lucy nodded this time. Lockwood reached the top of the stairs shining his flashlight down the hallway from where I figured the tapping came from.

"I think it's that door", I pointed my finger in the direction wanting to walk forward but Lockwood held me back grabbing a hold of the back of my coat pulling me against his chest with a short breath.

"No solo investigations", he breathed next to my ear as I felt his breath on the nape of my neck. I nodded silently then he let go of me making me step back in line between Lucy and him.

Then the knocking which was really persistent stopped and I took a glance at Lucy knowing she noticed it too. "The knocking stopped", I said looking back at Lockwood you fixated his gaze towards the door I pointed at earlier.

"As soon as we stepped onto the landing", I added looking back at Lucy as she nodded.

"It knows we're here", she said as Lockwood still looked ahead pulling out a thermometer which beeped shortly.

"Temperature's dropping", he explained looking down at the red display in his hands.

"Right, torch off. I need to tune in", Lucy nodded and we all shut off our flashlights which made this hallway seemingly lifeless.

"Pick a door. Any door", Lockwood said as I stood behind him and Lucy.

"Go with the furthest", Lucy said still looking at the door at the end of the hallway which made me huff.

I said that earlier. Why on earth does no one listen to me? "Why?", Lockwood asked her.

"It's the scariest", Lucy answered her voice calm but still feeling uneasy. I crossed my arms after I stuck my flashlight in the pocket of my coat on the side where my rapier hung on the belt of my trousers.

"That's exactly what I said", I huffed rolling my eyes squeezing through the middle of them walking towards the door.

"Evie wait!", Lockwood exclaimed as I opened the door pulling me back as he feared of a type two planning to attack.

"Calm down, Anthony. It's just an office", I chuckled at him behind me as he let go of my wrist scoffing with a slight smile on his lips.

We walked into the room Lockwood held his flashlight back in his hands as we looked around. "Yeah. But not always", Anthony spoke while flipping the carpet to the side referring to my 'office' suggestion. "Look", he added shining his flashlight down onto a spot under the carpet.

"Pressure marks. Deep, wide apart", he explained standing up from his crouching position. "Perhaps this used to be the bedroom, before the Hopes moved in", he guessed looking around the room.

Suddenly Lucy gasps. "I can feel it. This is where the source is", she explained and suddenly I got a very weird feeling. She turned to look at me. "Can't...can't you feel it?", she asked knitting her eyebrows.

I looked at her wanting to respond but a crashing sound interrupted the silence that had overtook the room in an instant. Lucy and I both gasped.

There was another crash and then crying. Lockwood and I shared a glance as Lucy turned around making her hair flip shortly as she stared at the hallway.

"Don't let it get to you. Keep active", I spoke placing my hand on her shoulder and she took a deep breath nodding before Lockwood spoke.

"Go get the bags. Make a circle", he said nodding at her walking slightly forward. "I'll check the other rooms", he said passing Lucy as I walked behind him.

"I thought you said no, and I quote, 'solo investigations'?", I teased him with a grin.

"Filings or chains", I then asked as he didn't react to my teasing sharing a serious look with Lucy.

Lockwood stopped in his tracks as he got to the door turning around once more. "Oh, filings", he bit his bottom lip seemingly embarrassed.

"Sure? It's still early, it's already this strong", Lucy spoke unsure of his decision and I frowned at him. We normally never used the fillings only chains.

"It's not that strong. Plus-", he tried to reason and I took a step forward as he stopped himself from talking looking down guiltily.

"Plus what? Spit it out, Lockwood", I crossed my arms over my chest looking at him.

He sighed looking up at me with guilt. "I forgot to bring the chains", he finally spoke looking directly at me as I felt a rush of anger overtake me and I released an angry breath through my nose scoffing at the brown haired.

"You forgot to bring the chains?! Are you mental?", I whisper yelled at him not wanting to draw to much attention to any of us incase the visitor decided to show up out of nowhere.

"George took then out to oil them. I didn't check he'd put them back, so...", he rubbed the back of his neck shamefully trailing off.

"It's George's fault", he said and I shook my head rolling my eyes at his childish behaviour. "Anyway, it doesn't matter", he turned to walk out of the door. "We don't need them for a job like this. Filings will just be fine", he reasoned while walking out.

I took a glance at Lucy and she shook her head at me as I did the same. We took one last glance at each other before walking out of the office into the hallway.

We trotted down the stairs. "So since when are you both together?", Lucy asked nonchalantly as I stopped from walking out of the kitchen where our bags were placed.

"What?", I laughed at her turning around as she faced me with a smile.

"You and Lockwood", she explained winking at me innocently grabbing her gear bag off of the counter to look at me properly.

"What? Why would you think that?", I laughed shaking my head at her while she smiled setting down her bag crossing her arms.

"You two seemed pretty cozy earlier when he pulled you back. Twice, might I add, out of harms way", she mused poking my upper arm with one hand while the other picked up her bag again.

"We're just friends...I guess", I whispered the last part frowning as I thought back to the night where we had slept in one bed after I couldn't fall asleep. "Come on he's probably worried about us", I said turning away before she could see my red face as I recalled the memory.

"You mean he's probably worried about you", she teased shoving me playfully with her shoulder walking past me up the stairs.

I stopped for a second before walking up the stairs as well.

Lockwood and I are just friends. Right?