𝟎𝟑 ┆𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎

.𝐼 𝑒𝑛𝑗𝑜𝑦 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑎𝑛𝑦.

.

"And this will be your room", Lockwood gestured around attic. "This was my room. I'm sure you'll use it better than I did and make yourself at home", he smiled and opened the curtains of the little window letting in the setting sun.

"Thank you, Mr. Lockwood", I smiled at him and he shook his head smiling lightly.

"No need for those formalities. Please, Evie. Just Lockwood", he smiled and shortly patted my shoulder walking towards the staircase. "I'll leave you to settle", he smiled once more before leaving me alone.

***

After I settled into the room I walked downstairs making my way to the library where I found Lockwood sitting in an armchair.

He noticed me first and stopped reading whatever he had in his hands. "Hey", he stood up abruptly putting the papers he held away onto the coffee table. "Evie", he breathed out staring at me.

"Sorry. Am I interrupting something important?", I asked cautiously and he looked at me with raised eyebrows.

"No. Not at all", he smiled and sat back down gesturing for me to sit down next to him in the second armchair. "I'm actually glad you're here", he laughed and looked at me shortly.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Really? Why is that if I may ask?", I asked and turned more towards him as he took a breath before clearing his throat.

"I enjoy your company", his voice was barely above a whisper as he glanced at me through his peripheral vision.

"We barely know each other", I laughed and shook my head standing up to walk up to the bookshelf which held masses of books of every genre.

"I know I know", he laughed as well, but it was slightly awkward as if he had made a mistake which I called him out for. "But-", he stopped himself sighing before talking once more.

"No what? Come on, I'm all ears", I said turning around while grabbing a book. He didn't say anything.

I sighed and began to read not pestering him any further. I couldn't make him talk about something he didn't want to talk about and as I sat there reading the same page over and over again I could feel him glance at me occasionally.

"I enjoy your company as well", I whispered smiling but never looking up from the book in my hands.

Never glancing at him while saying this. Never glancing in his direction just smiling.