𝟓𝟒 | 𝐀𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬

        𝐀 𝐍𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐘 𝐂𝐔𝐏 𝐎𝐅 𝐌𝐈𝐗𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐁𝐒 that tasted worse than the last few doses — with a lighter smell of raw vanilla and crushed flower — choked down Deena's throat the second her eyes pried open

𝐀 𝐍𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐘 𝐂𝐔𝐏 𝐎𝐅 𝐌𝐈𝐗𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐁𝐒 that tasted worse than the last few doses — with a lighter smell of raw vanilla and crushed flower — choked down Deena's throat the second her eyes pried open. Both her parents were at her bedside making sure every last drop was swallowed, but also that she was alive and healed. It was something Aunt Freya prepared to strengthen her system and flush out any leftover drugs that could persuade worse actions.

Not that she would need to because her mother was alive. The ancestors answered her call and offered their aid, bidding with a few personal words sure to stir Deena in the right direction.

But first, as soon as that disgusting shit was finished, she hugged her mother so tight she wanted her to suffocate for scaring her. For almost leaving her behind. Again. But mostly to make up for whatever pettiness that came between them since Aurora's death.

"I understand you wanna protect everyone. That you're helpful in many situations and you're no longer a little girl," her mother said after a series of apologies Deena rolled out. "But this isn't the path I want you taking. I refuse to watch my daughter's warm and compassionate heart turn cold and dehumanized so early in age. Maybe it's me refusing to acknowledge this part of you or maybe It's my fault that all I see is my little girl when I look at you. I just...I don't want you making the hard decisions at the expense of losing yourself. Or worse, death."

"Our ancestors only helped because their magic was on the line tied to my life. I decided to save your life at any cost. Something no one but me had done and I'd do it again." Deena protested calmly.

Her father, who had been on the fence the entire conversation, decided to add to the mix. "We know, sweetheart, and that's the part we fear."

"College is just around the corner and your father and I want you to put your focus on that and let us make the hard decisions instead. No matter the future it brings."

Deena didn't wish to argue back and forth so she apologized and let it be. Her feelings on this conversation were strong and felt the words sliding off her tongue in protest and bit the inside of her cheek to stop herself. She wanted the same as her mother and maybe in a perfect world, it would come true. But this wasn't that world. She can't move on with her life knowing those people were still out there.