𝟓𝟎 | 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐎𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫

        𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐂𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐂𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐓, Deena's birthday was a day that never felt real

𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐂𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒 𝐂𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐓, Deena's birthday was a day that never felt real. Possibly because aside from one aunt, she was the only capable of aging both physically and mentally in a sense.

Another two years she'd be the same age as her father before his faith froze him. Soon surpassing Hayley. Then Uncle E. Then Marcel. Then her mother. And everyone else who would live on as her corpse rotted beneath their feet, long forgotten as a new world approached.

But also because it felt strange celebrating the day one was born just for the next day to come and realize it's just a regular day. Possibly someone else's birthday somewhere out in the world. What should feel special was shared with thousands of others, and while it was something they each had in common, only one shared her tribrid nature and left her the odd one out.

Deena tried not to think about the future — and the day she shared with others — and live for now.

The big one-nine. Nineteen.

Her father wasn't in bed when she awoke the next day bleeding into the afternoon, but knew he stayed long enough possibly dozing off himself. His spot was still warm, molded around his figure still evening out. His unique scent still lingered...but so did the thick aroma of food that had her stomach growling.

After another shower, Deena changed into a bathing suit set out of the many she owned and the many that would never get worn. She tied a sheer skirt around her waist and left her hair in its messy two braids, not wanting to deal with the mess in need of oil treatments.

The wall where Deena could've sworn was molding shadowy figures, was nothing but a cream brown painted wall decorated with slightly burned art. Even a pillow blackened and melted from last night that confirmed the fire was real. Not a dream.

She checked her vibrating phone hoping it was from her boyfriend, but were messages and missed calls from everyone else but him. It'd been two days since Erik went radio silent. Time difference could be the one to blame but even then, it never stopped him before even if it was four in the morning on his end.