Chapter eight

Tamera was always away the last few months, the project they had with Creek Pack taking most of her time. It was taxing because someone had to take her responsibilities in the Pack. Luke took those responsibilities because he needed to keep busy. He also didn't have the heart to push the work to Peter since he still had a young son to help raise with Diana. Shanell and Macey were too busy to bother.

Luke was just glad that Tamera was very occupied and couldn't focus on him too much.

As for Peter, he was a nuisance since Luke confided in him. He asked everyday how he was doing, if he needed anything or just needed to have company.

It became suffocating when Peter tried to invite him to have an outing with him and his family. It was coming from a good place, but Luke asked if it wouldn't make his situation worse when he saw Peter and his mate happy. Peter dropped the invite, which made Luke laugh. He did tell him that he was joking, but his invite was intruding.

Luke did apologise to Perez for his behaviour the last time they met up. Perez tried to pry, but Luke shut that down before he could be questioned. One person knowing was enough.

He was watching the Pack train, with Macey sitting next to him. They were snacking on doughnuts, which were Luke's in the first place. When she went for the third doughnut, Luke smacked her hand lightly, reminding her that he was on his first doughnut.

Macey flashed a cheeky smile, her teeth coated in chocolate. Luke rolled his eyes, leaning back against the backrest and finishing his doughnut and pushing the rest to Macey's side.

They sat in silence, with the occasional sound of the box of doughnuts filling the space.

It wasn't long after that their peace was disturbed. Peter was carrying his young son, coming to them. He looked stressed, so Luke got up to meet him halfway.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his hands already finding their way to Young Carl. Young Carl extended his arms, Luke taking him from his father.

"I just received a call from Tamera. She was on site. Half of the building collapsed. No casualties yet, but they are still counting the number of people who made it out of the building."

Luke was relieved, but then worried for the people who might be trapped. He followed Peter to the House, where he saw that some of the mated wolves were all over the place. Worried about their mates who could be trapped.

When they arrived inside the House, Luke gave Young Carl back to his father. Peter suggested that Luke go have a look at things on the site. Luke didn't waste even a second before he was driving to the location. He hadn't changed his yellowed t-shirt that was once white. It had some holes on the back. His pants were decent enough to not attract unpleasant attention.

He spent the rest of the drive wondering what went wrong. Tamera was double checking everything. She made sure to do background checks, hire high caliber professionals to do the work. It didn't make sense.

His phone pinged. He picked it up,  thinking it to be Tamera. When he unlocked his phone, it was a message from Perez. They didn't talk much the few months. Things have been awkward and strained since the last time they saw each other. He didn't read the message, wanting to read it in the confines of his room when the situation he was in blew over. He hoped there were no injuries or people trapped inside the collapsed building.

When he arrived, emergency vehicles were already there. It was chaos. He saw Tamera run to him when he got out of the car.

She hugged him, her breath getting heavier the more Luke squeezed her. He felt his shoulder get wet where Tamera's face was. He was relieved to see her fine, but at the same time, so worried of the what if.