Chapter twenty-two

Luke and Rolus decided to have their dinner in the nearby restaurant instead of the hotel food. A new scenery. That's what Rolus said when he suggested they dine elsewhere.

Luke didn't have a problem, and thought it an opportunity to tackle the problems they faced with the Council. He decided that Rolus has been avoiding the contents of the letter for too long, and tonight was the night he was going to bring up the issue.

They had settled down and were waiting for their orders.

Of course, Rolus was still mad about the stunt Luke pulled. No matter how many times Luke apologised, Rolus wasn't having it.

"Do you suppose we could talk about Robert's letter? Time is not on your side," Luke spoke, drinking his wine. He felt like he was all over the place. Well, his mind was all over the place. He kept on stressing himself about his position in Rolus' life, what would happen should Rolus decide to get a replacement mate and discard him.

"I'm handling it," Rolus replied.

"How?"

Rolus sighed, putting his hands on the table. "I'm on top of it, Luke. Don't worry about it."

Luke didn't understand why Rolus couldn't get it through his head that they were supposed to be a team now. "I thought we were in this together."

"We are. But some things are better left alone. I don't want you jumping to conclusions."

Luke took a sip, trying to buy time. Trying to think of a way to convince Rolus that he wouldn't jump to conclusions. "What's the plan then? Do as Robert says or find another way?"

"Luke, there is no other way. It's either I follow what Robert instructed or reveal that we're mates. I don't want to lose my Pack," Rolus replied, his voice portraying the sadness within. "Or you."

Luke chocked on his wine. He grabbed a napkin and coughed into it. His heart was about to escape out of his ribcage.

"Are you okay?" Rolus was already by his side, rubbing his back.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just taken aback, that's all."

Rolus went to sit back down on his chair. "What's surprising in what I said?"

Luke didn't even hesitate to say, "That you care about me."

Luke saw the change in Rolus' expression.

"Do you think every decision I took all those years ago were for my selfish gains? I don't know if you're that dense or something. Everytime when I'm trying, you always have to set us two steps back."

"You did say that you were doing everything for your Pack. You can't blame me for being surprised." Luke tried to douse the fire - with paraffin.

"And I remember telling you that if the Council were to find out that you're my mate, and I happened to accept you, they would kill you. Are we really doing this right now, Luke?"

"No. Of course not!" Luke said that to avoid conflict.

Their orders arrived. Rolus didn't seem to have a problem eating. As for Luke, he was too worried about his position in Rolus' life that he didn't have the appetite, even though the food was appetizing.

When Rolus saw that he was not eating, Luke offered him his food. Rolus accepted.

Luke couldn't help himself. He needed assurance that he was secure in Rolus' life. He couldn't feel the mate bond, but the knowledge of Rolus being his mate was enough to care. "So, about the replacement mate."

Rolus sighed. He raised his eyes to meet Luke's. "What about the replacement mate?"

Luke grinned. "How's the search?"