Chapter forty-one

"Alpha, there was an attack from the North border!" Samuel came into the office without knocking. That's how Rolus knew how dire the situation was. He had a strict policy on knocking.

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. A headache started to form.

"Was there anyone hurt?"

Samuel shook his head. "No, he came with a message for you. He said he awaits the day you die. He will take the Pack and slaughter us all. If there are those who deserve mercy, they shall have mercy by his generosity."

Rolus coughed into his elbow. The cough racked his body that Samuel had to run to the table closer to the window to get him some water.

Rolus received the glass with shaky hands, then drank. He thanked Samuel after.

"Are you alright, Alpha?"

Rolus nodded. "Please get me Charlotte."

Samuel bowed, then left the office. It wasn't long before Charlotte came. She came with a plate filled to the brim with food. She had on a stern smile, trying to dare Rolus to refuse to eat.

"This is not what I called you in for."

"Just grab a bite. The last time you had a full meal was days ago," she argued.

Rolus didn't want to argue, so he grabbed the plate and tried to eat. He didn't have an appetite, the pills Sierra had him on urging his lack of appetite.

He only ate about a quarter of the plate before pushing it to Charlotte. She accepted, flashing him a proud smile. He tried to reciprocate it, but he couldn't.

"Please try to calm the Pack. Assure them that everything is under control," Rolus said, getting up from his chair. He's spent hours on it, going over Sierra's emails and also trying to keep up with his duties.

"Is it under control though?" she asked, eyes narrowed.

Rolus ran a hand through his hair, becoming exasperated. "You know I'm trying my hardest to do damage control. You all know this."

"I know you are. But sometimes that's not enough. That's not enough when Alpha Luke is trying to obliterate us and we do nothing. It's been a full year since he's been attacking us, Alpha. One of these days, he'll succeed."

As much as they haven't merged the Packs then, the last year, Rolus has felt like the Black Moon Pack was his. Being mates with the other Alpha made him the Alpha of that Pack automatically, but until they either merged or performed some kind of welcoming ceremony, he wouldn't be able to mind-link with the Pack. So it was hard counter-attacking his Pack, but it was also because of his mate.

Rolus understood that it was not Luke's choice to attack them, it was because of the circumstances that he's found himself in.

It's been a year since Alpha Luke has been attacking the Creek Pack. The first time he attacked, it was a shock to both Rolus and the Pack.

That day in the morning, Rolus woke up at Black Moon. The night before when he visited, Luke didn't show any signs of forgetting. In fact, that whole week, Luke was back to normal. They managed to get some semblance of normal.

That morning when Rolus went back to his Pack, he went with a happy heart, knowing that when he went back to spend the night with his mate, everything would be alright. Well, he hoped that everything would be alright.

It was noon when everything went downhill. He and Luke had agreed that it was best that Luke not show up to the Pack because of the slight reminder of animosity towards him from his Pack despite the mate thing. Luke has never set foot at the Creek Pack.