Chapter fifteen

Luke was surprised when Rolus drove them out of town. By the time they arrived at their destination, it was dark outside. Luke didn't want to be the one starting a fight, so he kept quiet and didn't ask any questions.

The air smelt of humans, and no hint of a wolf was there except them. Before they could enter the restaurant, Rolus quickly took off his suit jacket and extended it to Luke.

"What's this for?" Luke was surprised. There was annoyance in Rolus' eyes.

"To wear. You didn't think I would let people see me with you wearing those clothes, right?"

"Didn't you say I looked 'handsome'?" Luke clicked his tongue. He snatched the jacket from Rolus, wearing it.

"I was doing it for your Pack."

Luke nodded. Of course Rolus would never change. Luke was relieved because for a minute, he thought the mate bond brainwashed Rolus.

They entered the restaurant. Rolus gave the Host his reservation and she led them to their table. It was secluded, perfect for them to talk. That's what Luke presumed they would do, talk.

They sat down, with Rolus quickly picking up the menu and skimming through it. Luke was still not hungry. He blamed the stress. When the waiter came to take their orders, he ordered what Rolus got.

Luke found himself looking around the place, not wanting to catch Rolus' eye. It was awkward, especially now that he knew they were mates.

Rolus cleared his throat, catching Luke's attention. "We should talk."

Luke nodded.

"About us."

Luke nodded.

"Would you like to go first?"

Luke nodded.

Rolus waited for him.

When Rolus didn't say anything, Luke raised his head. "What?"

"You were not listening to me," Rolus stated, eyes hard.

Luke's mind was all over the place. He couldn't focus on anything, so of course he was just absent-mindedly agreeing. "What were you saying again? This place is distracting."

"Of course it is," Rolus mumbled. "I said, would you like to go first. Talking about us and the way forward."

Luke shook his head to sort of clear it. He balanced his chin under his hand. "You're the one who's feeling the mate bond, so go first." He knew he was being annoying. That was the intention.

"What would you like to know?" Rolus tried another tactic he knew Luke wouldn't discard.

At that, Luke perked up. There were a lot of things he wanted to know, but most of all, he wanted to know, "Why did you reject me?"

"You don't give up, do you?" Rolus sighed. He sounded exhausted by the question.

"If it concerns me or my Pack, no, I don't give up."

"What do you know so far?"

"I know that your family committed a crime that condemned them to reject their mates and have second chance mates. Their Alpha mates. I know that your parents were not true mates and that your father rejected his mate. And your grandparents too. I'm guessing the crime was committed by your great grandparents," Luke explained what he knew.

Rolus seemed surprised by the news. "Who told you this?"

"Can't exactly name my sources, now can I?"

"It's that bloody boyfriend of yours, isn't it?"