Chapter ten

"So, let me get this straight. You want my Truth Seeker to train yours? Is that what you're saying?"

"Yes. Please. You know I wouldn't ask this of you if it wasn't that serious."

"Why? Isn't your Truth Seeker already experienced?" Perez asked.

Luke sighed, resting his forehead against the steering wheel. "She is, but I want her to be able to tell mates, like your Truth Seeker."

It went quiet on Perez's end. Luke also kept quiet.

"Did you find your mate?"

"No! What? No! I mean, no," Luke panicked, looking outside his car to see if anyone was eavesdropping.

"Are you sure? I mean, why would you want your Truth Seeker to be able to tell mates?"

"Because. Look, are you going to help me or not?" Luke was already sweating with nervousness, he didn't need hundred questions from Perez.

"Just because I like you, then I guess I'll ask my TS. But on one condition," he said.

"What is it?"

"Don't you want to come over? You could spend the week here to help your TS adjust? Please?"

Luke sighed, running his hand down his face. "You know I have a Pack to run, Perez."

"But we haven't seen each other for so long, please. I miss you."

Luke looked ahead, seeing Tamera headed his way. "Fine."

"Thank you thank you! You won't regret this, I promise."

Luke smiled, touched at Perez's enthusiasm. "I know."

They said their goodbyes, with Luke's spirits up. Tamera opened the passenger door, and slid in. She sighed, leaning her head against Luke's shoulder. "There's progress. The rescue team reckon they'll be done by tomorrow."

Luke was relieved. At least he would leave when Rolus was safe.

That thought eased some of the worries he had.

"When are we leaving?" he asked, his arm coming up to wrap around Tamera.

She shrugged, sleepy.

Luke sighed once again and leaned his head against hers.

They ended up napping.

________

The only reason Luke awoke from his nap was the sound of sirens. He shook Tamera since she was too deep in sleep.

"I'm up, I'm up. What's going on?" she asked whilst running her eyes off sleep. She looked outside and saw the emergency vehicles pulling up.

"I have no idea. Let's go check," he said, opening his door to get out. He met up with Tamera, who was still rubbing her eyes, but then realization dawned on her.

"Oh shit! I think the rescue team is done. I have to go," then she took off, running to the building.

Luke rubbed the back of his neck, not knowing what to do. He wanted to go see Rolus for himself, but something was holding him back. He was about to step forward, but then stepped back and turned back around to go into his car.

He gripped his steering wheel tightly when he saw Rolus and Sierra carried on stretchers. He banged his head against the steering wheel, his will to climb with Rolus in the ambulance stronger than ever. When he felt the will too strong, he started his car and sped off the site.

He needed to confirm whether Rolus was telling the truth or not, otherwise he would die with worry for nothing if it turned out that Rolus was lying to him.