Chapter thirty-five

Rolus was not looking forward to the hiking trip. All because of the other couples that would be there. He wanted alone time with his mate, but it seemed like he wouldn't get that.

He looked at Luke to see that he was ready. He was wearing his black shorts and military green tank top. Rolus thought Luke looked hot.

Rolus went to take a quick shower, and when he was done, they left their suite to go downstairs to find the couples waiting for them.

There were three more couples in addition to the Rossi. They all boarded the van that took them to the hiking trail.

"We should reach the top by dusk if we hurry. Remember that it's a risky trail we're taking. If you can't continue, please tell us and go down." Bianca, their host, announced.

She handed them some small gadgets that they had to press if either one of them got injured, or when they got stuck and all.

They slung their backpacks over their shoulders, and proceeded with their hiking. The trail was not that far.

"Why did Natalie bring another couple?" Rolus asked, suspicious.

He's been cautious around them ever since they met.

"Don't cause a scene, Rolus. Maybe it's their friends' friends. Don't read much into nothing. Let's go."

Luke grabbed Rolus' hand and dragged them towards the other couple that had started climbing.

Rolus smirked after they had both strapped themselves with the rope. "See you at the top, Luke," then started climbing.

It was effortless when Luke joined in. He started climbing the buldging rocks that hanged over the edges. Natalie was the farthest, followed by Bianca. Benjamin and his wife were climbing side by side. His wife, Lilah, would stop often to drink water from her bottle.

They eventually reached the steep, rocky path that went up the mountain. It was almost like a steep staircase towards the top. They started walking from there after ensuring that everyone was safe and sound.

The scorching sun made them thirsty. What pissed Rolus off was when Lilah started asking for water from the other couples as hers was finished.

The journey continued under the scorching sun that saw the couples running out of water. Only Luke and Rolus hadn't touched theirs. Natalie drank a few sips, but Leo had also finished his water.

As predicted by Bianca, they reached the top by dusk. Luke and Rolus couldn't leave the group behind, so, their competition of who would reach the top first couldn't hold.

"And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the top of Lakeview mountain!" Bianca announced, her glorious smile contagious.

Looking up at the sky were stars dancing under the moonlight. The blue-grey sky was magnificent, along with the stars and the half moon that offered enough light for the couples to set their tents.

"We'll have our dinner in thirty-five minutes. Please be here at least ten minutes early to prepare food," Bianca ordered, putting her backpack down.

She started to set up her tent, and the others followed. Luke and Rolus set their tent away from the others, but Natalie and Leo's tent was closer.

"How did you find the whole experience?" Luke asked Rolus after they finished setting up their tent and their sleeping bags.

Rolus sighed, lying down on his sleeping bag with his knees bent, looking up at the sky through the transparent spot at the top of their tent.

"It was hot, and too slow for me. Why don't you lay here with me? We can skip dinner and just talk until morning."

That didn't seem to sit well with Luke. He didn't want them to seclude themselves as they came with the other couples.