Chapter forty-two

The journey back to his Pack was filled with confusion and skepticism. Luke glanced at Peter a few times, but the man was as he knew him. He didn't seem to be holding a secret from his Alpha.

He did feel incomplete some months before, but he attributed that to his grieve. He never once thought of having a mate, even less, Rolus at that.

No. Rolus was not his mate. He was his sister's mate. When he thought of Rolus, a deep sense of hatred and loathing filled him. He didn't know why that feeling suddenly came, but it did. Anything to do with Rolus disgusted him.

If Rolus was his mate, then why didn't his Pack say anything?

Luke tried to remember something. He tried to remember ever seeing Rolus in a different light. Nothing came. It was like a blank wall stood between him and his memories. He tried to recall.

He didn't say anything for the remainder of the drive back, but his mind was filled with what Rolus told him.

They arrived at the Pack. Luke found Tamera waiting for them at the door. She met nervous eyes with Peter, who shrugged. Luke averted his gaze, not wanting them to see that he saw them.

"What did Alpha Rolus want?" Tamera asked, opening the door wide for them to enter. Luke took off his coat, then hung it on the coat rack.

"Wanted for me to stop attacking his Pack," Luke replied, heading to his office with Peter and Tamera on his heels.

"You agreed, right?" Tamera asked.

Luke stopped and glared at her. "Why would I do that?"

Tamera nervously looked at Peter, who shook his head in warning.

"Is there something I should know, Beta and Delta?" Luke snapped.

Peter looked away whilst Tamera tried to sputter some nonsense.

Luke continued to his office to find Shanell and Macey in the office. They stood up upon the door opening. "How did the meeting go?" Macy asked, eyes meeting Luke's.

Luke gestured for Peter to fill them in. He told what he heard Luke tell Tamera. To be fair, Peter left the meeting before they discussed anything.

Looking at his Council, Luke could see that they were uncomfortable and skittish around him. Was it because of the secret they held from him?

"He didn't say anything else?" It was Tamera who asked, arms crossed and eyes not staying in one place.

Luke narrowed his eyes, asking, "Anything like what?"

Tamera staggered under Luke's attention. "I don't know! I was not there!"

His Council was acting suspicious. They all did this. Everytime he came back from the other Pack after attacking, they all huddled in his office and asked questions. Now it made sense. Could Rolus be telling the truth?

"Peter, what's going on?" He addressed his Beta.

Peter shrinked under his eyes. He looked at the others as if asking permission.

"Beta, I hope there is nothing you all are hiding from me because there were some things Alpha Rolus brought to light. Things I hope you are not aware too. I'll asked you again my Beta. Is there something I should know?"

Peter looked like a deer caught in headlights. Luke could smell his fear and anxiety.

When no one said anything, Luke was disappointed. He didn't want to believe Rolus, but his Council didn't leave him with no choice. "Leave. When you're ready to tell me, my door is always open."