Chapter twenty-three

The morning saw Luke still deep in sleep. Rolus had long since woken up, freshened up and had breakfast.

He was still frustrated and stressed about the men Robert sent his way. On top of that, he had to deal with Luke and his crazy ideas.

He sighed, feeling the heaviness caused by the distance from Luke. He was in the hotel's garden, strolling, appreciating the flowers present. The more distance he put between them, the heavier his heart became.

With each passing second that they are closer, Rolus could feel himself accepting the bond. With the stunt Luke pulled that got him used to his touch, it was harder to resist the pull of the mate bond now. It was only a matter of time before he couldn't ignore the pull and make the biggest mistake of accepting the bond. He would doom them all if he did that.

He wondered how he was going to handle the separation after this mini vacation. His Pack was already suspicious of his movements lately. Zayn did confront him of his whereabouts the last weeks. That he's been scarce, and the Pack was starting to become restless of having an absent Alpha.

He didn't blame them. He too would be suspicious of his movements. A rumor was even started that their Alpha was courting a replacement. He and Sierra had a laugh when Charlotte told them.

Rolus settled down on a bench, his thoughts on the idea Luke came up with. It was foolish, yet kind of brilliant. He smiled bitterly when he thought of why Luke suggested someone he trusted.

He sighed, leaning back. His eyes went to the sky.

A month was up in the next week. Robert was going to come back. He hoped Luke would have convinced Tamera to play along. Robert was ruthless, and he didn't take well to being undermined. If he found out that Rolus did not follow his orders, there would be dire consequences.

He didn't know if the shiver was from the cold, or the fear.

He felt the distance become too great a pain the longer he stayed away from Luke. He rubbed his chest, trying to alleviate the discomfort.

Of course that didn't work. He felt rage bubble, because Luke didn't feel the bond. He would never suffer the way Rolus suffered every day because of the bond. The more he resisted, the more painful it was becoming.

The thought of going through with the rejection had him feeling a piercing pain through his heart. The pain was enough motivation to get back to his mat- Luke. Referring to Luke as his mate was going to cause troubles for him in the long run.

The closer he got to Luke, the more at ease he felt. He smiled, not even knowing why he was happy. He knocked on Luke's door.

He only heard a groan, indicating that Luke was still very much enjoying his sleep and had not gotten out of bed. He used Luke's key card, opening the room.

He slipped in, making sure not to disturb Luke further. He tried to make his steps as light as possible. Luke didn't stir.

Rolus grabbed an apple from Luke's breakfast, then sat down on the chair he slept on. He made sure to bite into the apple carefully, so as to not wake Luke. He didn't even understand why Luke slept in.

He managed to finish the apple without making too much noise. He eyed the bowl with the mixed fruit. Luke didn't seem to be waking up anytime soon, so Rolus saw it best to help himself to his breakfast.

He stood up and placed the remains of the apple on the tray, then picked up the bowl.

It all happened too fast. He was balancing the bowl on one hand, and the other was grabbing a fork. He didn't know what happened, but the bowl slipped from his hand, crashing.