Chapter thirty-nine

The following days saw Rolus hovering over Luke. Luke was sick, the side effects of the medicine Robert gave him.

He kept on running a fever, and it didn't help that they were away from their Packs. Rolus didn't see the need to go back home when his mate was unstable. What would he say to his parents and Peter? When they took their impromptu trip, Luke was well. Even Peter saw that.

When the effects of the injection Robert gave him wore off, he found himself in a hotel room, with Luke still unconscious. Rolus didn't know if he was crazy or not, but he felt grateful to Robert that he didn't just dump them in the middle of nowhere. He was even grateful that there was a note and some medicine that detailed the treatment of his mate for the after effects.

Rolus spent his days fussing over his mate, making sure that he recovered well. He didn't know if he was selfish or not, but he dreaded the moment his mate would recover from the effects.

Luke would wake up, then Rolus would make sure that he ate, then he would sleep thereafter. Luke was always disoriented, seeking sleep after waking up.

As much as he wished for Luke to recover, he was afraid of what awaited him when he did wake up. Would the Netlac have worked? Would Luke really have no idea of their mate bond?

Rolus hated starting all over again for them to be civil. Luke was difficult, and it was a war to get to the level they were in the previous weeks.

Rolus was working on autopilot whilst taking care of his mate. His mind was all over the place. Having to go back to his Pack started to occupy his mind when Luke was getting better.

He made sure to be out of Luke's way anytime Luke was awake. He didn't want the crushing reality that the Netlac worked to kill him.

As far as he could see in the days that passed, it seemed like the Netlac didn't work. Luke was aware of Rolus, and didn't seem to hate the same air that Rolus breathed.

It seemed that Luke was also aware that Rolus tiptoed around him, but he didn't ask why.

Then one morning, it seemed that Luke was fully healed because he approached Rolus. He found him sleeping on the couch.

"What happened?" Luke asked, sitting next to Rolus when he sat up.

Rolus was relieved, enveloping his mate in a hug. He smelled him, letting his scent wash away his worries. But one incessant worry didn't go away. Rolus was counting down, waiting for the Netlac to take effect. He was not naive enough to believe that Robert was bluffing.

Rolus' face was buried on Luke's neck, right on his mate mark. He could hear the steady beat of Luke's heart, his stable emotions through the mate bond, and the scent that drove his wolf crazy. His words were muffled when he said, "What do you remember?"

Luke took a while to answer. His heartbeat was loud, beating against Rolus' chest so quickly. "We were hijacked."

Rolus didn't deem it important to tell his mate what went down. He was unconscious the whole time. Even though it physically hurt him to lie, he didn't think he would ever tell anyone what happened. Luke was going to forget all about him, so he didn't want to worry him.

That's the repercussions of his actions. He was to keep the Robert issue buried deep, and bear the burden. It was his secret to keep.

"They were petty thieves. Knocked us out and took our car."

Luke didn't believe him, but he didn't say anything. He laid back on the couch, with Rolus falling back with him. Rolus didn't dare get off. He didn't think he would disattach himself from Luke unless necessary.