Chapter twenty-five

Rolus walked to the office in great trepidation. He feared for Luke should Robert find out the truth.

The arrival to his office saw Robert already seated. Rolus closed the door, then went to Robert, who had stood up.

"Alpha Rolus. What a pleasure," he greeted, bowing his head a little.

"Council Robert. To what do I owe the surprise visit?" he questioned, going to his chair. Robert sat back down after Rolus sat down.

His greying hair was pulled up in a bun, grey eyes cold as ever. "I didn't know you and Alpha Lucas were acquaintances. I was surprised to find out you went outing together. What a peculiar sight it was."

Rolus remained impassive, willing himself to not cave. Robert's eyes were studying him, and one wrong movement, even fleeting, would jeopardize everything.

"Since I have found a replacement in his Pack, I thought I should get acquainted with the Alpha, my Council. Or is there anything you're implying?"

"You tell me, Alpha Rolus. Is there something you wish to confess?"

Rolus' heart started beating irregularly. He was sure Robert noticed. "Confess? What is there to confess?"

Robert didn't say anything. They held eye contact, each willing the other to give up.

Robert smiled, averting his eyes. His smile was crooked. "Nevermind my question. Apologies if I offended you, Alpha Rolus. Now, tell me about your replacement."

Rolus was still tense. His shoulders felt heavy, and heart was still suspicious.

"She's the Black Moon Delta and has already agreed to be my Luna. Alpha Lucas has given his blessings already."

Robert frowned. "Delta Tamera?"

"Yes."

"Hhmm. I thought we agreed to approach a mateless wolf, Alpha Rolus."

Rolus narrowed his eyes, feeling his anger surge. Anger at the world, anger at his ancestors, and most pf all, anger at the Council for coming up with such abominable punishment that went against what they stood for. No wonder they kept it a secret. They kept it so much a secret that only three Council members knew about the punishment.

He guessed one of them was Perez's parent. Maybe he ought to snitch to Robert that his colleague went around spewing Council secrets to their son.

"She's a mateless wolf, Council Robert," he replied.

Robert made a face like he was speaking to a child, instead of an Alpha. "Alpha Rolus, she's not a mateless wolf if she hasn't found her mate yet. You need a mateless wolf that has either been rejected or their mate died. Is the Delta willing to reject her mate for you?"

Rolus was dumstruck. He didn't know if Tamera was aware that by accepting to be Rolus' Luna, she was indirectly rejecting her mate. He must have made some kind of unpleasant expression because Robert smiled, wicked.

"When is the mating ceremony?" He leaned against the backrest of his chair.

Rolus removed his hands from the table and put them on his lap, clenching and unclenching them. "Next week. Next Saturday." The words felt like acid on his tongue.

Robert's eyebrows raised high in surprise. "You don't say. I guess congratulations are in order then."

Rolus pulled back on his impassive mask, saying nothing. That made Robert scowl.

"I'm not the bad guy here, Alpha Rolus. So don't look at me like I am. This is the work of your ancestors, and I am only here to make sure that the punishment is delivered to the generations. Your ancestors are the bad guys. The sooner you comprehend, the better."